turbo tech info

zia

so you want find yourself a turbo?and you don,t know what this turbo terminology means well here a brief explanation.
i worn,t bore you by telling how a turbo works blah.blah..if a make any mistakes on the info am sure somebody like( sirnix will know doubt correct me)

WHAT IS A/R/
a/r is the angle between center of turbine/compressor housing and turbo outlet.increasing a/r on the compressor side give you alot quicker boost
spool up and vesa-versa.on the turbine side increasing a/r the engine will spool up high in the rev range but you get a lot less back pressure which increase the engine volumetric effeincy and gives you more power overall.

TRIM
trim is the angle or degree of surface area on each blade
which give how much flow the comressor/turbine can flow at any given time.speed.

INDUCER
is the center entry hole on the compressor.bigger hole (ohh err!) more that can be sucked in! :wink:

EXDUCER
is the turbine exit hole.

other factor like wheel diameter/bearings/wastegates/number of blades/type of blades also all play an important role.
hope this clears up a few things :lol:

zia

G

GTI-R Kid

Useful info Zia - thanks.

But a quick question for you (or anyone else who can answer it) - when people are referring to the spec of their turbo's they regularly refer to just one a/r. Which are they most commonly referring to - compressor or turbine a/r?

zia

both turbine/compressor a/r are important but ( i think they refer to the turbine) :?

zia