TURBO PROBLEMS.....HELP NEEDED!!!

A

Anonymous

Hi.I was wondering if any one could help me. i have a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R. k reg with 65 thousand miles on the clock.My Turbo has suddenly lost power..The dump valve is going off a little bit on about 6 thousand revs..it use to go off on bout 3. But as i say the Turbo has lost alot of power.dont think i can here it sucking in either.The day it lost power my oil turbo temp was on 10 xc....My boost gauge is showing me that i have lost power aswell .i have also taken the cooler off and checked all the hoses and pipes and everything seems to be fine there.took it to a garage and we had a look at the turbo tirbine...its moving 1 mm in a 360 degree angle...they said that they think this is the problem.....but spoke to turbo technics and they said it should move bout 1 mm...am fecking confused now !!i dont have any blue smoke coming out either.can any 1 help me with any suggestions!. .If you could help this would be great as there are no garages near me that deal with imported cars.thanks

O

Odin

Have you checked all the hoses to make sure there on tight?.

rob

ram5ay

Sounds as if your boost could be leaking somwhere like out a split or loose hose like vpulsar sais. Could also be a problem with your wastegate, you could check if the arm from the actuator is connected to it, but I think it's pretty difficult to see.
Hope this helps a bit. :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
check your wastegate actuator rod hasn't come off. 1mm realy isn't alot of play, and should be ok if you're not smoking.

O

Olly

sounds like maybe a actuator going, but rare, pull the pipe off under the front mount near the plenum, it goes to the actuator then go easy down the road should make loadsa boost this will show if your turbo's got what it takes or not. DO NOT DRIVE FOR LONG AND DO RECONNECT THE PIPE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU LIKE IT :lol:

J

jpward

Hi guys i have this problem just turned up today, checked impeller was a ok and got code 55 but top test on breather hose says ive got an air leak and when removed the actuator vac hose the boost is right back up there.

so is it the actuator? or something else :? :? :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are you running no boost or low boost at the moment?

If you have an air leak you need to find it.
check all your hoses are secure and not split.
Also check the turbo and manifold nuts are tight as the have a habit of coming loose and this'll loose you boost (your engine get's loude in this case tho)

J

jpward

Ok here,s the weird bit drove to work today all fine just watch it for a day or two????????

it was boosting but way down and even down on gauge at idle as for the air leak ive no idea were to start i have ordered the two pipes off the dizzy cos i think one is dozed a bit but all vacuum ones seam fine and are well tightened.

is there any perticular air pipes that go or give bother the most?

J

jpward

Normal now but was only reading 1-200 mmhg on full power!! :shock:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I take it the reading does go inline with the way the engine feels, ie at 1-200mmHg it feels dead slow?

J

jpward

Just feels like your waiting for the boost to kick in but it doesnt. i first though it was a pipe of the bov letting it open a chamber and release air but have only new pipes on that to.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe you have a sticky wastegate/actuator? can't realy think of anything that would loose so much boost and clear up again apart from a self sealing leak :?