turbo issue

luke s

After checking my turbo tonight I found I could move the impellor 15-20mm in and out but but zero movement left to right, spins smooth and fine, I k ow it's not good but what could of caused it and could it be repaired??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
15-20mm? Housing off? I'd have thought a snapped shaft would struggle to move that much, you don't mean 1.5-2mm do you?
Does it appear to be working OK? (can't be 15-20mm if it is)

luke s

I kid you not it moves in and out a lot!! But no wine ext spins smooth, could be snapped shaft to be honest Iv not drove it, when I fist brought it I suspect bottom end failed but one I jammed the turbo to stop the turbine moving the engine was quiet when revved to 3k, as befor it was noisey (knocking sound)

luke s

But it spins smooth and fine lol , must be down to having recurlation unit removed ext chatter killer! Question is do I send this off for inspection or get another

Dangerous Dave

its hard to say, if you send it off make sure its a well known company that know what there doing

if you buy another make sure its not a 2nd hand one from ebay

MarkTurbo

Question is do I send this off for inspection or get another
If it genuinely has got 15-20mm of play don't bother as it's basically scrap, to get that much play there would have to be nearly nothing left of either the compressor or turbine wheel.

Is it a standard turbo or roller bearing? Either way get your sump and the oil pickup off as there will possibly be bits of bearing in there.