Turbo Guideline for GTiR

Mad

I have been doing some research recently for myself on the best range of turbo's for the GTiR rangning from 300 + bhp so thought I would share.
They are all based on the Garrett Turbo range as they offer the best all round options.

If you have any other units, such as Borg Warner or others that you think are worth adding or corrections then please let me know.

BHP figures are meant as a guideline, not the highest figure you can acheive.

http://www.gtirwiki.com/showwiki.php?title=Articles:GTiR+Garrett+Turbo+Guideline

johnsy

can't you just post your findings in this thread? i cant be arsed to register on yet another forum

Mad

All sorted.

Im quite happy to share my findings and if someone wants to upload them onto this site then that is fine but if the site went down, all information would be lost so that is why I keep it on my own site.

:lol:

Fusion Ed

TBH That article over complicates it.

If you want up to 400hp then you go for the 2871 .64 with ported wastegate.
Any other turbo is a waste of time/money, as the gains for/£ are very small. I always find anything smaller tends to disappoint the owner. Some turbos like the Disco Potato are useless on a pulsar and have to run them flat out to make gains over the stock turbo. When the owners have paid £1000 for a turbo that does 20hp more than stock they always wish they had gone for something better.

If you want up to 460-470 you go for a 3071 .86. If your willing to get a bit more response choose the .64 version but may loose 15ish hp top end. Supplied fitted and mapped a .64 version recently and was surprisingly impressed.

If you want 500hp then 3076 ideally with ext wastegate, but will need entire manifold/down pipe/pipework altering.

True that in all cases the gtx will offer a bit more. For more than 500 owners will have an idea of what they want and be very turbo 'aware' anyway.

The above covers 99.9% of all the cars I've ever done.

Mad

Ed,

I agree, finding the right turbo can be complicated, tell me about it. Ive spent hours researching into my next unit. Im one of the more than 500 owners you mentioned and to be honest, I am more confused now then ever in what turbo / engine setup to go for and are still not 100% on which way to go.

In the bracket im looking in I have a choice of of around 10 different turbo / specs and Im hearing different opinions from different people and as the GTiR is not as developed as much as some of the other cars IE Scoobies / Evo's, first hand reviews are hard to come by.

Your reviews on the GT3071 and GT3076 are really useful. That is the sort of information that is extremely helpful for people when buying a turbo.

I would imagine most people will do a bit of research before they buy a turbo so the list is meant for a guide, not my recommendations as I do not have first hand experience of all of the range.

Spikey

Greddy and Borg Warner make fantastic turbo's too.

I am awaiting some info on the Borg Waner range and will add when I know more.

I think some of the issue is that GT30 to GT35 is a pretty big jump, to me this has always been a bit of a hole in the Garrett product catalogue. There are other options but for the most part people understand the Garrett range better than any of the others.

For Borg Warners turbos google "Borg warner Airwerks" for the regular product catalogue and search "borg warner erf" for the race turbos.

Last edited:

Mad

I think some of the issue is that GT30 to GT35 is a pretty big jump, to me this has always been a bit of a hole in the Garrett product catalogue. There are other options but for the most part people understand the Garrett range better than any of the others.

For Borg Warners turbos google "Borg warner Airwerks" for the regular product catalogue and search "borg warner erf" for the race turbos.

Cheers for this. I will go and have a good look around.

Agreed, it is a real issue about the gap between the GT30 and GT35. Its a shame they never made real use of the GT33. Scoobyclinic did some preliminary testing with their GT33 billet but was unsuccessful. They have made some changes and think they will be doing some testing soon so will be interesting to see the outcome.

Ive heard raving reviews about their GT30 Billet, both from users and other tuners and tests show quicker spool with marginal power drop from the New Garrett GTX30 Range.

They generally run 2.1 + stroker kits running upto 20% Meth and some say that Scoobyclinic's dyno is a tad generous but their results on the track and quarter mile speak for themselves and they seem liked a bunch of switched on petrol heads to me.

I've also found them a good bunch to deal with, as you can see from my build thread I will be running a 2.2 (overbore on stock stroke) with vvl and a billet GT30, hoping with water/meth injection to push high 500's (when I finally finish)

Mad

I've also found them a good bunch to deal with, as you can see from my build thread I will be running a 2.2 (overbore on stock stroke) with vvl and a billet GT30, hoping with water/meth injection to push high 500's (when I finally finish)
Sounds pretty realistic and like a good spec to me. What spec exhaust a/r have your decided on?

0.63 which is smaller than I wanted but when I spoke to scoobyclinic despite listing a 0.86 on their website they don't actually offer it. If I find it chokes up too much I will just fit a larger housing.

My plan to make good power is run a decent amount of boost (1.8-2 bar) and rev it out nice and high (say 9000rpm). This way I should have a good usable power band. The target is to try and bend the laws of physics as much as possible and build a 600bhp car which responds like a 400bhp car. I'm also going to run a pretty high static CR to help with responsiveness low down, but then with VVL its possible to have some overlap on the cams when the engine is on boost to reduce the dynamic CR and avoid any problems with det.

If all else fails I also have plan b.

Mad

When I spoke to them, they were pushing the .63 too. I didnt know it was because they didnt have any in stock :lol:

If thats the route I go down, the .63 is probably the one I would choose as well.

You have some good ideas there and will be great to see them in action.

Fair play on the plan b. Ive got some ideas in my head after doing quite a bit of research but I havent worked out my Plan A yet. :doh:

Fusion Ed

So your Saying Garret turbo are the best?
What about Greddy, Borg warner, and other makes?
No I'm saying for 99% of the people out there those I listed above do a great near perfect job. If people are able to choose other turbos by comparing flow maps and understanding what they want then they are outside the scope of the normal owner, and thus a standard list if turbos would not apply anyway, since they are able to make their own judgement.

Swiss GTI-R

My question is more on the small turbo side...

On your list you say the GT2560R is a standart replacement.
Is the GT2560R not a typical Silvia S14/S15 Turbo?

According to mine informations the GT2860RS with 0.86 housing should be
the same Size like original just with ball bearing. Isn't it?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's how I've always read it to; we have a bigger turbine side than on other variants of the SR20, and a bigger A/R on the other side too. It makes more boost, but is a bit slower about doing it (trying to remember Ed's notes) because the journal bearing doesn't spin as freely and it takes more effort to spin that up... but can move a larger volume once it's going?