Turbo coolant hose size

BMCC

Found the expansion tank empty after a short run on sunday. Topped up radiator and expansion tank and got the car up to temp and found that the rubber hose under the distributor is leaking. Not sure if this is the cool or hot side of the turbo coolant feed but i believe i need a 3mm hose as the pipe measures this at the turbo end of the pipe. Can anyone confirm this? Is this a part i need to get from nissan or can i make my own up using a suitable rubber hose?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Mine is just a length of silicone hose and since it's water rather than oil or fuel I've had no problems with that for the last five years or so.

BMCC

Good point Mark! - 3mm hose is probably going to the wastegate actuator?
Eh? I followed the line up and it connects up to a coolant pipe. This pipe is a vac pipe rather than a coolant pipe?

The pipe that is leaking sits under the dizzy and connects into a long metal pipe that goes down into the turbo, the other end connects on to a large coolant pipe coming from the back of the engine. I measured the diameter of the long metal pipe that connects it to the turbo and it was 3mm?????

Last edited:

BMCC

You've either measured it wrong or need to throw away whatever you used to measure it as that pipe is 8mm ;-)
This is a distinct possibility as I seem to have no time to do anything just now. I'll remeasure the pipe diameter again :)

BMCC

:oops: Looked at inches rather than mm, 8mm it is :oops:
I think i'll get a new battery for my vernier calipers as the old school way is obviously beyond me :lol: