Turbo Choice?

G

GTI-R

Dudes,

Simon has started stripping the car so I hope to hear the news next week.

I am sure that the turbo will need replacing so has anyone got advice as to what to go for?

I really need a fast spool minimal lag and don't really need the 350bhp that I had before.

Can't really go over £1K either, any thoughts, want to retain the standard manifold as can't afford a full on setup. So straigh swap is what I'm after here.

Any advice appeciated...

Nad

Standard T28 on Roller bearings can support around 360ish, but u could always go for a hispec T25 which will give even less lag, with a maram shaft and run anitlag all day 8)

Nikko should know more.

Nad

A

Anonymous

GTI-R said:
I am sure that the turbo will need replacing so has anyone got advice as to what to go for?
ask the guys that make and improve turbo`s as a day job :wink:

give them the spec of your engine,power req`d and how responsive you want it to be.they will then rec`d the best turbo for your needs 8)

Keira

gt28rs disco potatoe from the states as skiddus has rightly pointed you in the direction of

O

one Gti-R

I agree with the Stock turbo converted into a ball bearing turbo. change the wheels slightly and you can get good power gains.

The advantage of this is it still bolts straight on and there isn't any modification needed for oil lines etc which will add to the cost.

You mentioned 1000 pounds is that just for the turbo or does that include everything need to fit the turbo as well ???some fabrication will up the total caost a fair bit aswell.

just something else to consider.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I got my T-28 converted to race bearings, essentially a GT28RS in their current marketing speak for £300 when they were based in Skemersdale.

At the time I was told it would be able to do 1.6 Bar making around 370 on my car :shock:

At the time, the GT2871R turbo was not available but is probably more appropriate for me.

Just an idea but could maybe swap, p-ex or sell.

For me this is dependant on getting the new turbo quickly as I hope to re-build the ecar in the next few weeks.

First off I'll try to contact my old garret person to see what he thinks.

Cheers,
Jim.

S

Sirnixalot

You want response and 350bhp? Thats an easy one. All you need to do is get the S14/15 compressor housing and if you want convert it to ball bearing. I feel this would be the most cost effective way to achieve your goal. These upgrades are quite common with the turbo rebuilders over there. It may not have S14/15 compressor housing written on it but i have a hunch thats what they use for the lower stage upgrades.

If you want to get something else i think you should be able to get something from ATP for 1k gbp.
The GT28RS is the perfect turbo on paper for you. at US$1180 you might beable to get it into the country for 1kgbp or less.

639gbp for the turbo + shipping and duty

Those are the 2 options i would consider if i were in your shoes 8)