transfair box breather help

t16coupe

hi all i changed my starter motor last month and there was a pipe comeing from the transfair box it was long enough to reach the top of the engine and there was a outlet on the back of the engine near where the intercooler hose goes on the the inlet with nothing going to it have i made a mistake by joining it up that that outlet

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes. The breather hose usually just hooks over something on the back of the plenum and behaves like a snorkel (i.e. keeping the end high and dry).

It sounds like you've hooked it up to a vacuum soruce; is the car running like that?
The transfer case should be reasonably air tight, but I doubt it will do the engine any good to get a shot of 75W90 in it if it did leak.

t16coupe

cars running perfect idle is fine just worried that i have hooked it up wrong i could only see this pipe doing nothing and it was just long enough to reach the outtake on the inlet do u now what should go to this spare outlet on the inlet

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
On mine that's the boost source for the wastegate actuator:

That also shows the breather from the gearbox hooked over the fuel lines.

t16coupe

no sorry its not that one its on the back of the inlet i have now heard its something to do with water cooling for the inlet but people blank it off

t16coupe

is there anything ment to be connect to the outlet in the circle as i had my transfair box breather mated up to it but was told by a few people that the transfair breather should just be left hanging the back of the engine so i blocked it off but the car seemed to be running a bit rough

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is that one coolant for the manifold; I don't really know?
I'm trying to examine a photo of the back of my engine, but it's not really helping.