Towing

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
In short; no.

Technically you can do it, but it needs to be low speed (less than 40mph?) and not for too long if you don't want to destroy the viscous coupling etc. - You're much better putting it on a flat-bed or a trailer if you can.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Nissan say Yes at 30mph max and 40miles max with all 4 wheels on the ground. Don't let it be towed with one end in the air and only 2 wheels on the ground.

lewis

Many thanks. Won't be getting towed tomorrow then! I was just stuck for a trailer to get it somewhere important and thought I would enquire first

P

pulsarboby

dont tow it to us lewis youll booger your diff up as said
if you cant get trailer tomorrow then bring it when your ready, its no big deal and not worth the risk fella

samc

obviously im no pulsar expert or anything, but how is towing the car any different to it been driven? i'd imagine over the course of the cars lifetime it'll coast/freewheel more than 40 mile?? or am i just been crazy?

P

pulsarboby

no thats a fair question
all i can tell you is that the diff can wind up, in other words the viscous fluid its filled with tends to overheat and solidify which renders the diff fooked.

dan will give you a more technical answer than this as im not that up on diffs and boxes, but i do know theres a lot of front diffs out there that do not work as they should and people dont even know it, whether freewheeling for too long a distance causes this or not i do not know

guess its the same with an auto box because if you tow that in neutral it boogers up the torque convertor so suppose the viscous diff works in a similar sort of way

lewis

I won't be towing it don't worry Bob. Just need to wait till first thing in the morning about a trailer. Need to get it done tomorrow as I have taken the day off and so has my mate with the tow bar. GRRRR