Torque .....Why?

SickBoy

Ok i know this has been covered lots of times but i still dont understand and i want an answer :twisted:

I have 340 bhp and 294 lbs torque

now my norris "R" had 340 bhp and 333 lbs torque

So in english wot determinds my torque

Or my real question is i want 320 ish bhp but 330 lbs torque

How do i acieve this. ??
Wot engine mods or set up ??

And remember i need answers in English :wink:

Lee

B

bex

torque blags my head

no matter how many times its explained to me i cant get my head round it

JIMMYBACK

the way i see it in english is this...............bhp determines the top speed while the torque is related to how fast you get there........ so keep the turbo as small as possible for the bhp you require other wise a bigger lagger turbo will get you more bhp but the torque figure will be a lot lower :shock: :? :lol: :wink:

Gray

isnt torque how much weight you can shift an how quickly you can shift it
so if your car weighs less you have more torque?

JIMMYBACK

Gray said:
isnt torque how much weight you can shift an how quickly you can shift it
so if your car weighs less you have more torque?
per tonne maybe yes.in reallity no ....if it weighs less it just means it will shift quicker

D

danmo

I think torque is the actual turning force of the engine and the bhp is rpm based torque. So bhp is like torque/time. The more torque u have the faster u can go and the higher the bhp, the higer the car will usually rev and its how fast u can produce the torque.

SickBoy

Brilliant answers people :?

Cheers Ginga good link

But my question is not wot is it its wot determinds it

or how do i get better torque ???????????????

It cant just be well thats your torque your stuck with it . We must be able to increase it

,i have the
Small hybrid tubby
3" down pipe
3" hard pipe
blah blah

So how do i increase my torque?????????

ashills

right torque is determined by airflow, bhp is just a equation made from rpm and torque, the higher up the rpm band u make peak torque the higher your bhp
my evo only made 400ft pound of torque but it was at 6K+ and was around the 560bhp mark (600 on race gas)
and also thats why rally cars make peak torque very low down and only make 300bhp
for your car lee a simple way to make more torque is to get the engine to breath as best as possible maybe hi lift cams and also the more boost u run the more torque u will see thats why cossies etc run 350bhp 360ftllb of torque cause they are running around 2 bar on a t34

SickBoy

Cheers al a good answer now im gettin :? :?

Ok is it not then possible to just make torque gains with out the bhp

Im happy at 340 but if i up the boost up goes the bhp

Also engine breathing wot else does this consist of apart from cams
presume you mean 264 or would there be a better one ??

nismoboy

SickBoy said:
Ok i know this has been covered lots of times but i still dont understand and i want an answer :twisted:

I have 340 bhp and 294 lbs torque

now my norris "R" had 340 bhp and 333 lbs torque

So in english wot determinds my torque

Or my real question is i want 320 ish bhp but 330 lbs torque

How do i acieve this. ??
Wot engine mods or set up ??

And remember i need answers in English :wink:

Lee
what were the enigne specs of the 2 cars? and were the rolled on the same rollers?

ashills

if ur on standard turbo mate then i doubt u would see much bhp gain but torque would rise with more boost im hoping to see what a standard turbo will do with hi boost soon on my new car but u need a 360 bearing in it as a must

ashills

SickBoy said:
Also engine breathing wot else does this consist of apart from cams
presume you mean 264 or would there be a better one ??
264 is duration mate the lift is more important for low down torque i think
the higher duration will push teh peak power up the rev range which isnt ideal on standard turbo etc but a 260 or 270 with 11.5 of lift is what im gonna use

SickBoy

yup did notice on my last one with the 264s it was slow low down but ace once up the revs

so for low down you lookin at 260 ,11.5 lift

Would these go straight in or would you need other mods , vernier pullys etc

wot is the lift on standard cams then ??

so with the boost side say my tubby runs out of puff at 340 bhp at 1.2 bar if you carry on upping the boost the torque would rise but bhp stay the same cos its maxed out. If so does this not affect the running cos im sure when i ran 1.35 bar the bhp went down but did not notice the torque

Lee

ashills

sorry to keep reffering to evo but it was same sort of thing
we ran 1.4 bar and made 410bhp 320ftlb (aprox) at hubs
when we ran 1.8 bar we only upped teh bhp to 438 but torque was near the 400 mark this was because we were at the limits of the turbo but raising the boost bought the torque figures up
the reason u may have seen a bhp decrease is the heat u will generate by raising the boost also needs to be dealt with so if u have a nice big intercooler and waterr injection it helps to keeps things cooler
standard cams are 256 and 10.5 lift i think which are pretty good compared to alot of other stock cams
probably some one come on now and prove all that ive been saying wrong lol but its worked for me so far

GINGA

You'd probably be better off with a smaller exhaust for torque, with the turbo running at 1.4bar and properly mapped you will see 340lbft no worries 8)
If you want to make the most out of the spec you have, you need something like a autronics/motec ecu the power won't increase much but the torque and torque band will increase and leave you with a much smoother faster car 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
SickBoy said:
Ok is it not then possible to just make torque gains with out the bhp

If you increase torque at a set rpm then the bhp will increase at that rpm as well, so basically no.

What I think you're wanting to do is keep max bhp the same but have a higher max torque figure. As this torque figure is at a lower rpm than the max power then you could do this.
You could do it with a faster spooling turbo, to bring it on boost quicker lower down but keep the same boost level high up for the same power, or any of the other suggestions above.

daz

thats what happened to me basically put a slightly bigger tubby on and yes the bhp went up a bit but the torque dropped by like 30lb/ft so i am thinking along the lines of you fast guy buy a turbo with a smaller 0.64 a/r turbine housing run the same boost but with a faster spooling turbo the torque should come in alot earlier and stay in for longer. ie with a smoother flatter torque curve.