Torque settings?

Al Mac

Hi chaps,

I'm trying to find the torque settings for ARP head bolts when using a 1.2mm metal gasket. A quick search seems to yield several figures between 73-95 ft lbs - can anyone give me a definitive answer?

Cheers

Alex

vss irvine

you sure you want to use arp head bolts?

theres been alot of problems with the gtir bolts, if it was me id get some standard nissan head bolts, amd sell the arp's on.

but if you really want to use them, i would contact arp direct for specific torque settings and sequence.

Al Mac

Ah, not so good.......

Bolts are already on the engine (have been since the car was purchased), but we're wondering if the head has lifted slightly (see previous thread on leaking head gasket). Some of the bolts are only torqued to about 73ish lb foot, and I've seen a few posts suggesting that's too low, which could then cause the head to lift.

It's not leaking badly, just enough to pressurise the coolant. Temp never goes above normal, and doesn't seem to use too much coolant either, so I'm hoping to get away with just re-torqueing them down and then hoping for the best, lol.

What was the specific problem with ARPs then (if that wasn't it already) ?

Cheers

Alex

vss irvine

problems ive heard of are damaged threads in the block after torqued down, ive also heard of them breaking completely due to the wrong torque settings included in the packaging.

Trondelond

I'm running them without problems so far, 3071 @ 1.2bar.
Finding the correct torque was a pain, and I tried to re-thread the holes in the block and clean them out before installing them. There was something about fingertightening them first, and then up to 90lbs or something. A lot of searching on here plus a little note that I think came with the bolts were useful.

PulsarLee

dont add additional oil when tightening as this can have the affect of adding upto 40% more torque. the torque should be applied to relatively dry bolts with onlyvery light lube.