To run in engine

stumo

Use a basic non-synthetic oil.

don't pussy the engine but at the same time don't rag the arse off it either.

stumo

You can't replace the oil and filter often enough.

Compared to the cost of the engine, changing the oil and filter after an hour then 100 miles and then at 500 miles is still cheap insurance.

and when i say a basic oil, i don't mean £2.99 shite down at the local quickie-mart.

shroom

thanks mate. yer i can get morris oil pretty cheap so that sounds good enough, thanks for the advise on times

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Use a basic non-synthetic oil.

don't pussy the engine but at the same time don't rag the arse off it either.
I'd read somewhere that you should take it easy at first (with mineral oil), but make sure you get through the entire rev range that you'll want to use. The theory being that you're gentle wearing off the chaffing etc, so if you don't ever rev when you're running in, it won't be happy when you try to do it later on. - He may have been talking about rotary engines, or maybe a supercharged V6, I don't remember now.

What do you think; is it a load of crap, or is there truth in it?

stumo

George, if you pussy the enginethe rings won't seal and you don't have to rag it to use full revs.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I drove mine around, up a few hills underload, but not ragging the nuts off it.

Just follow Stu's advice and you'll be laughing...

Trondelond

I let it idle until it was warm, had a five minute careful drive to check everything was ok.
Then I drove about an hour, pretty much like normal, but made a point of not staying at the same revs too long. And I couldn't help myself, so I floored it a few times on the way.

Oh, and I changed the oil and filter a lot. Used a magnetic drain plug - I'm glad I did, there was a lot of filings attached to it each time I changed the oil!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
George, if you pussy the enginethe rings won't seal and you don't have to rag it to use full revs.
Have to agree here! With modern honing techniques, the bores are smoother so you need to work the engine harder than you think to get the rings to bed in..

As for the oil, you should use a mineral oil.. I think i used a Millers Running in oil..

If i remember rightly i chaged oil and filter after:
20miles
50miles
100miles
250miles
500miles

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
better than having metal filings going round your new engine.

There should not be any in there in the 1st place

However when I ran my engine in I wrapped a powerful magnet to my oil filter so that any "possible" contaminate would be picked up and kept in the filter.