To GTiR or not to GTiR, that...

J

jugs

Hey Guys,

In my search for the perfect car I have stumbled upon the Pulsar GTiR.
The thing is I am located in Toronto (Canada).

This is a problem for me not because I have to import the car, but because the car is right hand drive. This is legal to have RHD cars here, just relatively impractical as making a blind left turn every time is not fun.

Right now I am very seriously considering importing a '91 GTiR here. I would be the (sub 2 digit number) owner of a GTiR in Ontario. The other car that I am considering to buy locally, is the 240sx (the s13 or s14, I am not sure what it is called around the world).

The rationale behind me wanting to import the GTiR is the following:
-The car itself is relatively powerful, yet still has decent fuel economy
-The engine is a very common engine to swap into nissans in canada and has a large aftermaket part base (cheap parts)
-The car has 4WD which is great for handling, acceleration, and the winter weather.
-Its fully capable of carrying 4 people + stuff in the hatch
-Decent looking
-The specific car I am looking at importing has one previous owner, full service history, less than 80k kilometers, no rust (Japan), and is unmodified (total cost to my door would be around 7300 euros, or 5000 pounds)

The only downsides to importing the car:
-Hard to find car specific parts
-Hard to resell eventually (one of a kind, noone would know what car it is)
-Terrible weight distribution (62/38?)
-Its RHD (no big deal)
-Its a 1991 (old car)

So here is my question, in your opinions as GTiR owners would it be worth it for me to import the car?

If you have any comments please feel free to reply, thanks in advance.

O

Odin

jugs said:
yet still has decent fuel economy

:shock: :shock: You are kidding right lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

There where some left hand one's made so it should be pretty easy to convert to left hand drive if you so wish :wink: .

Gti-r parts can be got very easerly from japan and england :D .

rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could try importing a LHD one from somewhere in Europe.

Economy is around 24mpg depending how you drive (if you call that decent)

The Gtir engine has ALOT of differences to other SR20DETs so swapping bits may not be as easy as first suspected

Why would every left turn be blind? I drive LHD all day here and don't have a problem turning right :wink:

They are cracking little cars if you buy a good one. I think there's maybe 4 or 5 over there that I know of.

J

jugs

Compared to my rx-7 24 mpg is plain fuel efficient.
It's also better than the 300zx, but still doens't compare to a TDi or such.

A LHD one would be ideal, but it is hard for me to locate cars for sale in europe, let alone to get someone to go and inspect the car for me.
In canada many people either drive bimbo boxes (minivans) or SUV's, so when they are also making a left in the oncoming lane, there is almost no visibility with LHD nevermind if I had RHD.

But, is the car worth the money and effort to import?

J

jugs

there is indeed very many imprezas out here (especially STi's)
but the price tag is a little more steep than that of the GTiR

Fire & skill

Vintage member
jugs said:
there is indeed very many imprezas out here (especially STi's)
but the price tag is a little more steep than that of the GTiR
well dont you think its good to be different :wink: its prob the main reason WE bought these cars (and the fact it spanks the pants off your average scoob :lol: )