Timing/ head removal

S

shane0478

I am about to remove the head from the engine in situ. If I lift the head will the timing chain stay in position on the crank pulley or will it fall away? I am worried if it falls free because I cannot see the marks to reset the chain position without removing the front cover. If I have to remove the front cover can this be done with the engine in situ or will it have to come out?

skiddusmarkus

Tie some string around the chain and hang it over the block.There's a mark on one of the links to line it up and the info to do so is on the forum somewhere.
If it does drop in then a wire coathanger should get it out again.

GINGA

the chain won't move from its position on the crank pulley and doesn't matter even if it does as it cam be timed up using the tdc marker on the pulley :wink:
You can only time the change using the painted links if you've pretty much stripped the whole engine down :( I'll put a setting up the timing chain guide in the how to guide section.

T

Toady

GINGA said:
the chain won't move from its position on the crank pulley and doesn't matter even if it does as it cam be timed up using the tdc marker on the pulley :wink:
thats what i was gonna say! :wink: :wink: :D