Timing chain installation

PulsarLee

Hi guys,

Been trying to put my timing chain back on but struggling for some reason. had the chain tied to the garage roof and number 1 at TDC, however now that im putting the chain back on, the marks that i made on it corresponding to the sprocket marks dont allign by about 1 tooth on either camshaft. obviously this is because the valve springs are pushing the cam away from its position when i released the tension originally...... so this coupled with not much slack on the chain is giving me grief..

has anyone got any tips on refitting the chain?? would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

bob the builder

hi mate. as long as the chain hasnt moved then it is simple.
make sure the chain tensioner has been removed. put the correct cam gear in the chain so it ligns up with you mark. then with a spanner(24mm i think) move the cam itself so you can slot the gear on the shaft.
repeat for the other then refit the chain tensioner(dont forget to push it in and lock it first)
make sure you rotate the crank 2 full turns by hand just to make sure nothing is catching.
hope this helps

PulsarLee

thanks fella, Ill give this a try. the problem i had was that i put the sprockets on first then tried to fit the chain and whenever i adjusted one cam the other one moved out......lol
cheers,

Lee