Ticking @ 1Bar+

When i hit 1Bar boost i can hear a ticking noise, it doesn't happen until exactly 1bar and then carrys on round to 1.2Bar...is this my injectors?

Thanks,

Mike.

Animaldaz

I wouldnt have thought so, the engine noise alone would hide that. Sounds like something more serious to me. Are you having any other symptoms?

gtir_pimp

do you have a boost controller? some solenoids make a ticking noise dont they? i cant hear mine though. how loud and how fast is the ticking?

no mate only a valve, ive removed the old solenoid too and it still does it,

errm, its loud enough to hear over the engine/exhaust, and its hard to say how fast it is really :?

olliecast

be very careful mate, if it is actually det you could destroy your engine fast.

I`d get it checked out on a rolling road by a known good company before letting her loose again

ok mate cheers,

well its back at 0.8bar now anyway with no tickin' so i'll take it for a set up when im paid

its weird though, cause i have an Caraven ECU off boby which the fueling and that is set at 1.2bar, also a walbro pump and 444cc injectors, so it should be getting enough fuel like :? but yeah...i'll get it dyno'd

steve963

a Haynes book i have says

pinking: light metalic clinking sound, ignition too far advanced, spark too soon hence combustion trying to push piston back, piston rattles against bore over TDC, not harmful at light throttle/loads if corrected

knock: combustion gases auto ignite at a different point other than the spark, causing dual flame fronts which colide causing knock, much heavier sound than light pinking, 'many causes listed in book'

pre ignition/DET: soon after heard engine will be dead!!
Combustion before spark arrives, hence combustion as piston on way up, rather than combustion/expansion pushing piston down, combustion/expansion fighting against piston rising!
hence massive pressure rise and melted bits

'apparantly main cause of DET is too hot plugs, igniting mixture before the spark...'

Book describes the sounds as:

If you have any degree of mechanical sympathy:
pinking will make you concerned, knock will make you wince and detonation will make you cringe!

I dont think i`ve heard any of the above though so only saying what ive read, also dont think the book is aimed at turbo cars

P

pulsarboby

has this noise only just started mike? if so then you may have a fuelling prob somewhere (assuming it is actually pinking that is). could be a defective injector or weak fuel pump.

best to get it checked out as people have suggested already!

steve963 said:
pinking: light metalic clinking sound, ignition too far advanced, spark too soon hence combustion trying to push piston back, piston rattles against bore over TDC, not harmful at light throttle/loads if corrected
I does sound a bit metalicky...if there is such a word? :lol:

And thinking about it, it could well be the ignition being too far advanced,
I had the head off recently and since then ive adjusted the distributor a few times trying to get it spot on, wonder if it could be that :?

pulsarboby said:
has this noise only just started mike? if so then you may have a fuelling prob somewhere (assuming it is actually pinking that is). could be a defective injector or weak fuel pump.

best to get it checked out as people have suggested already!
I've only just got it running over a bar mate, i kept it at 0.8 for a while, then wanted more :lol:

steve963

take the plugs out and see if any damage, assuming they are newish or you knew what they looked like before!

check for melting signs etc