things that go pop on the GTIR

mattygti-r

Ive an inckling that my R was a bit of a boost monster in Japan as the holes in the wings indicate a bit of a FMIC however im just curious as to what the engines weaknesses are...as im sure mine (like many others) hasnt had the easiest life in teh past.

its been returned to standard on the engine, would appreciate any thing that often gives up or dies....im still on standard boost and dont boot it abotu that much to be honest. and let it cool down etc. after a long trip or blast.

andygtir

mate theres so many things that can go wrong, but i wouldnt worry. if the car seems sound at the moment then it'll probably be ok. mine too was tuned out in japan, but as long as it was done properly, ie mine had ex. temp guage, boost gauges etc then theres not too much to worry about. i've been caning the arse of it for 18months now and its never missed a beat.

as long as its serviced well and you look after it, some go on for 250000+

people, esp. in the states have been known to run 500bhp on standard internals.

not much help on the tehnical side but then i dont know much about engines!

mattygti-r

thats cool mate...just the R engine sounds a bit course and v.noisey compared to what im used to on start up...thast all...

ive only got the usual exhaust etc on it..few bits and pieces nothing major on the car...god im still on the standard filter...the oil is changed every 4k thou and always v.clean when it comes out...

dont rev mine past 5k really only ocassionally...(when needed :wink: )

thanks for hte advice thou

andygtir

dont rev mine past 5k really only ocassionally...(when needed )
lol, mine hardly drops below that :lol:

the engine is noisy, something to do with it having a chain cam and solid lifters, noisy but, good for engine longlivity. not that i know what i'm talking about :oops:

M

memski

lol @Andy.

Well where do we begin?:p Two main probs with the R are the gearbox and the standard cast pistons. Run more power and things need to be uprated and changed so it copes. The gearbox can hold up with 100+bhp more than standard if well looked after, same goes for the pistons if the fuelling is increased in accordance with the boost. 20psi is seen as the highest safe pressure to be run with standard headgasket and internals. If you're running standard boost, then you have nothing to be worried about as long as you're sure it is standard 0.7bar :wink: You can manage 0.9-1.0bar without adjusting fuelling.

Use a quality oil, warm up before every run to 85deg, keep revs down to 3k, and cool down, change oil and filter regularly. I've been doing that for the past 3years and can't fault the R.

GTIR-LOZ

so far in 2 years at 1 bar the only probs i have got are, both front c.v gaitors split - done today water pump leaking, will do in a few weeks :oops: and turbo has play in the shaft - to be done soon as i can find a good hybrid tubby unfortunatley all these things have turned up togethor but other than that i have had no and i repeat no normal running problems

mattygti-r

yeah im sure its still on standard boost 0.7bar

mine seems ok and im not loooking to go beyond 280bhp or 1bar (for the moment)

on start up thou (from cold) the other day just before the Brighton meet it did sound a bit noisier than normal. with a noise comming from the passenger side (by the recirc valve)...this normal? it was a tappy sound. Olly said it seems ok when i got to Brighton.

i kow the R engine is a course engine and v.noisey...it ran fine down to Brighton and back (about 150miles or so) temp guage seems to fluctuate between 1/3 to 1/2 thou in v.cold weather....

thanks for the advice

A

Anonymous

if the engine sounds tappety you can have them shimmed for about £200 notes it think..

correct me if im wrong guys...

MarkTurbo

Mine needs the tappets doing now, its done 118,000 miles and they're gettin a bit noisy.

I phoned norris designs the other day and asked them how much it would cost to re-shim them and got quoted about £250.

O

Olly

Matty when you change the oil stick Millers fully synthetic 10w60 quietens things down a bit, thats what i use and many others. :wink:

A

Anonymous

ive got about 6000 big 1s 2 spend on my bad boy in the summer. wot u rekon i do? its done 82000 miles. all it has is an uprated filter, exhaust and a turbo timer. wot u rekon?

E

Edd

bjorn said:
ive got about 6000 big 1s 2 spend on my bad boy in the summer. wot u rekon i do? its done 82000 miles. all it has is an uprated filter, exhaust and a turbo timer. wot u rekon?
up to you, and what you want from the car.
A rebuilt engine will cost £3000-£3500 plus vat and uprated gearbox £2300 plus vat
so you could just about get engine and box done, but then you'd need money for clutch and the VAT :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bjorn said:
ive got about 6000 big 1s 2 spend on my bad boy in the summer. wot u rekon i do?
If it's just the engine,
Internals, more boost and Motec/Autronics engine management. :wink:

A

Anonymous

mine run relly well now so i dont rekon i need an engine rebuild or the gear box doing. i was thinking more engine upgradres such as front mount, stuff like that?

D

DodgeT

on startup when the engine is stone cold, i get a rattle for like 1/2 a second, just until the oil has circulated, apart from that she's as quiet as id like it to be :D

i run castrol rs 10w60

oh yeh, the bl00dy clutch release bearing is noisey as hell tho :x

best start saving for a clutch :?