thermostat

A

Anonymous

The temp gauge on my car only ever comes off the cold mark if you leave it idling. I'm thinking the thermostat could be stuck open or not even there as its done this since i got the car, what do you think? Where exactly is the thermostat? Is it on the pipe beside air bleed bolt for the cooling system? Cheers

A

Anonymous

hi ya mate changed mine about a week ago, i put the part number and price in the part number topic, as your looking at the manifold its just below to your right a few bolts and its off just remember to get some instant gasket sealer when your doing it i got stuff called hylomar or something like that, should take no more than 20 mins and its worth doing even if its not your problem

GTIR-LOZ

the thermostate is always at the end of the top hose off of the radiator, folow that and you should get to the thermostate

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GTIR-LOZ said:
the thermostate is always at the end of the top hose off of the radiator, folow that and you should get to the thermostat
Isn't it at the end of our bottom hose? :shock:

GTIR-LOZ

yup was looking at it the other day and thought ohh boooolllllloooooooxxxxx :oops: there goes my theory, always seen it at the top hose end

mattygti-r

mines a bit intermittent these last few days..thou only when u take it out at 11pm at night and give it a long drive....sometimes drops from !/2 to 1/3 on the guage...think its the cold air

99.9% of the time its ok...

A

Anonymous

Cheers for all that, i will but a new thermostat to try. So you dont think it could be a temperature sender or guage problem then?

Oh aye another point of interest(maybe its just me that finds this interesting!!). My car has been limiting the boost recently for some reason so i did a self diagnostic check on it and it came up 55 - All clear. Thats good, at least i know there isnt a problem with anything so am now thinking a reliable boost controller will cure the inconsistant boosty problem? What does everyone use and what do you reckon? It still has a mis-fire at idle, especially at cold, if anyone can shed some light on th subject.............cheers

GTIR-LOZ

dont thrash it from cold, missfire cured :shock:

my temp gauge always sits at 1/3, never moves from there once it has warmed up

A

Anonymous

Nah i never thrash it til its about 80 degrees. Was told to leave it idling for a few minutes before i drive off as well. New plugs, leads, rotor cap/arm didnt make any difference either........... feck knows! What, if any, boost controller do use/recommend?