thermostat install...

djdoc360

Quick question. The little hole with the piece of metal on the thermostat. Is it soppose to be installed up or down? My car is running hot after installing a new thermostat( i might have it installed wrong). The top hose is hot and bottom is cold.

jjs

thermostat

i think the toggle should be at the top to let any air out , but i dont think it would cause the problem you have, even it was fitted incorrectly, have you tried runnig without the thermostat ? may also be worth flushing the radiator, or testing the thermostat in a pot of boiling water to see that it is opening,

djdoc360

jjs said:
i think the toggle should be at the top to let any air out , but i dont think it would cause the problem you have, even it was fitted incorrectly, have you tried runnig without the thermostat ? may also be worth flushing the radiator, or testing the thermostat in a pot of boiling water to see that it is opening,

Yelp I ran it without and the car ran great(takes forever to warm up though). pushed the crap out the car and it stayed middle and the oil temp never went past 80. Ill check to see if I put the toggle.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't make a habit of driving it in cold weather without the thermostat it.
If the engine isn't heating evenly it can warp... plus you'll confuse the temperature sensor and the cold idle valve etc.

Normally the little hat faces upwards so that the pressure of the water pump is against the bottom of the diaphragm. Maybe it's as simple as that - it can't open against the flow of coolant so the engine just keeps getting hotter.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Hole up. If you take the stat out again, just check it in boiling water to make sure it's not a duffer. (even though it is new)

Did you bleed the system properly after changing it?

djdoc360

Well It was installed upside down. Reinstalled it and it still over heats. ( followed the directions from the search)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Well, that is odd - is it definitely working (checked in some hot water like Fast Guy suggested)?
Maybe it's stuck, and that's the real problem.

djdoc360

Well im guessing the thermostat is bad. Pulled it out and the car runs fine without one. Going to buy a nismo one tomarrow.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did you check it in hot water? It should open.

When you take it to bits again, check the rad isn't blocked.

zer099

Just a word on the nismo one: I love running it during the hot summers here, but when it starts to get cold like around now I have to switch back to the stock one because the car will never warm up when its cold out with the NISMO stat and normal driving. Just FYI from my experiance with it.