The importance of using correct coolant

Hi guys, just thought I'd share this with you all as a reminder about using proper coolant in our engines....

After offering to fix a mates head gasket for them (Astra 1.6), I was horrified when i got the head off. All the water channels were badly corroded and one of them (end furthest away from water pump i.e. the hottest end) had corroded 'almost' right through to the cylinder. Hence, this is obviously where the head gasket had blown. I knew straight away what the cause was and asked him if he had been using proper coolant; to which he replied 'oh i just use water'. This sort of thing doesn't happen over night though, must take a while for corrosion that bad....
I'll upload some pics soon to show the damage.
I did tell the guy he needs a new/recon head but he can't afford it and wants me to try and fix it. The only way i can think of is using BELZONA to re-build the material round the water ways. I know it is a bit of a bodge and don't really like doing it..... if it was my Pulsar engine Id replace the head.

So just a reminder to use the correct mix of coolant in your system, through-out the year and not just in winter 8)
It's supprising how many people don't actually know this :doh:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do Vauxhalls still uses a specific coolant? I remember when I was in the RAF we got some pink stuff in for the Vauxhalls only.

not sure mate, as this engine just had water in lol. I'll read Haynes manual and see what coolant to buy for it.
When i re-build my pulsar soon, I shall use pure coolant in mine too :)

Running 100% coolant is not a good idea, most coolants are additives to prevent corrosion and change the boiling/freezing point of water. They are not as effective at heat transfer as water, so will not cool you engine as effectively.

red reading

Running 100% coolant is not a good idea, most coolants are additives to prevent corrosion and change the boiling/freezing point of water. They are not as effective at heat transfer as water, so will not cool you engine as effectively.

This man is right, pure coolent antifreeze is not a good idea, distilled water and antifreeze is about the best,or as ford,vauxhall,daf etc all now use is the premixed summer/winter coolant for anti corrosive properties and good cooling

P

pulsarboby

absolutely true!
also you must not mix the two types of coolant i think one is i think 'ethelyne glycol' and cant remember the other but one is pink the other is blue

lol beat me to it herring:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsy

shit mines been full of pink stuff for about 500 mile, you recon drop it and mix with distilled water then?

Any of you guys know about this Belzona stuff?
All the guys i work with swear by it and say it's the dogs bollocks. I have tried to rebuild the metal where it has corroded. Once the Balzona has dried and cured it is just as strong, if not stronger than the head it self.
I'll get the head skimmed now.
See pics below....

williams

Ive used it a couple times. A lad had a hole in his 306 engine through to 1 of the coolant galleries. Couldnt afford to pay for me to take engine out to weld it and just wanted a cheap fix. Been on for 5 months now without any problems. Iv used it for a few other little things aswell.