The honeymoon is over

T

Tone

Did Donnington today in the dry, R did fine, humbled lots of expensive shiney cars till......
the darn thing blew all the water out of the cooling system. I am taking a guess it's the head gasket, I will try to confirm this Monday with a HC test.
I have never had the head off one of these things, is there anything I need to look out for?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Blew it out in which way? out of the overflow tank? Or just all gone as in leaked somewhere?
Radiators and water hoses commonly leak on these things.

T

Tone

Blew it out the expansion tank. The cooling system is pressurising up when it's running, I'm pretty sure its the head gasket, I'll do a hydro carbons test in the morning to confirm.

MarkTurbo

Tone said:
I have never had the head off one of these things, is there anything I need to look out for?
If it is the head gasket thats gone..................................theres 4 little M6 bolts in the head (2 on the drivers side either side of the engine mount and 2 on the front of the head) if you dont notice them they have been known to leave people scratching their heads wondering why the head wont come off even though all the headbolts are out ;-) :lol:

warringtonjack

How old is your radiator?? If its an old one, chances are its core is blocked up a bit and its not cooling the water down sufficiently when you're ragging it round the track. This just boils the water and forces it out the expansion tank. Same thing happened to me, new radiator and everything ticketyboo. :D

P

pulsarboby

always run fans permenantly when your on the track, keeps those temps right down and helps keep the oil cool too.

hope jacks right matey! but it does sound like a h/g but you wont know for sure untill you carry out the hc test.

antgtir

pulsarboby said:
always run fans permenantly when your on the track, keeps those temps right down and helps keep the oil cool too.

hope jacks right matey! but it does sound like a h/g but you wont know for sure untill you carry out the hc test.

Good tip there, think this will be a mod for me before silverstone8)

Ant.

T

Tone

Done HC test, this confirms its the head gasket, I will whip the head off. Where will I get an uprated gasket?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Tone said:
Done HC test, this confirms its the head gasket, I will whip the head off. Where will I get an uprated gasket?
You could try here

or just get a standard head gasket pack from Nissan for about £50

T

Tone

or just get a standard head gasket pack from Nissan for about £50

Is this up to the job? I am running standard turbo and injectors with a front mount.

O

Odin

I have a brand new standard head gasket if you need one, Make me an offer.

Rob

samgtr

pulsarboby said:

how easy it to wire the fans on permenantly for track days, any pointers pls?:sad:

MarkTurbo

I dont see the point in having the fans on all the time whilst on track, most the time your probably going faster than the fans can move the air through the radiator anyway so its not actually doing anything! Thats the way i look it it anyway :lol: A long as you've got a decent oil cooler you should be ok ;-)

T

Tone

Head back on, New rad fitted, the old rad only had one row the new one has two. I will have to wait a few weeks before I can try it in anger.