That shouldn't be there...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Not necessarily. If you have the stock breather system feeding back into the inlet you will get a small build up of oily deposits inside the induction system. Unless you have a lot of oil I wouldn't worry too much.
If you have oil pouring out, then it's bad :wink: It could be a sign of excess blowby combined with some overfilling, but in this case you'll get alot of smoke from the exhaust too.

:? Thanks mate. I don't feel so bad now. Visions of worn piston rings or summat worse. :roll:
There's no stock intake system on my car (no airbox, just the usual filter and BOV.) does that make any difference?

OZ-Racing

I'm no expert, but I think 'Fast Guy' is referring to the oil breather, which I believe feeds back into the air intake system. If I understand it correctly, this is a kind of wier that the oil flows over and if clogged-up some oil can pass into the air intake :?

Could somebody verify whether I do have a vague idea of what I'm talking about, or whether it's complete bull :roll: :oops:

C

chris-b

engines need breather systems fitted as pressure can build up in the engine
pcv-is where the crankcase can ventilate to lose the pressure. By law this pressure-smelly oily, fumey crap cant just go to atmosphere, so must be fed back into the induction to be reburnt!
hence an oily film on the induction side. if you take off the i/c you will see its all oily!
that help!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
OZ-'R'acing said:
I'm no expert, but I think 'Fast Guy' is referring to the oil breather, which I believe feeds back into the air intake system. If I understand it correctly, this is a kind of wier that the oil flows over and if clogged-up some oil can pass into the air intake :?

Could somebody verify whether I do have a vague idea of what I'm talking about, or whether it's complete bull :roll: :oops:
Correct :wink: