Terminal Clonking

W

willson

Hiya, Just crawled back in my car :(
THE STORY GOES:
I went to overtake a car and mega clonking and loss of drive,Rolled to a stop, had a look couldnt see anything. Started the car again, it managed to pull away :) anyways gave it a tiny bit and loss of drive again. Managed to crawl home just really slowy occassionly loosing drive. It sounds like its coming from the rear but.... unsure really. Not quite understanding how the power is transfered etc its hard to fault diagnose. Which bit do you think has gone? Rear box, transfer box or gearbox :?

Ask away guess im gonna be fixing this myself. :cry: :cry:

LeeSmith

I Reckon it's your transfer box mate.

It happened to me, but I wasn't so lucky, i was coming off the motorway on to the slip road and the back locked up. When i Tried to move the car it was as if the handbrake was on and it rocked back and forth as i pulled the clutch up. I managed to get about another 50 metres but it completly locked.

W

WoOsH

usually the rear diff wines before it give's up. I am not 100% sure but it sounds like the transfer box. can you select all the gears ok? is there any other noise like grinding, knockin or anything?

W

WoOsH

is it a standard clutch? because I just had another thought you could have sheered the centre of the clutch which would give you a little bit of drive but when you give it abit of gas it will just slip/rev and go no where

W

willson

hi, had it jacked up and the rear wheels seem to clonk and have alot of play.
Erm yes it still has the standard clutch. The clutch seems fine only maybe a little lighter than usual. Yes i can still select all the gears fine. It only seems to terminally clonk if you give it a little gas. i thought thats when more of the power transfered to the rear?
Oh i forgot when the clonking happens i loose all drive :cry:

W

willson

Well dropped the oil outta box boxes, and the front one had small bit of metal in, must be pretty terminal :'(

N

Norfy

you could always remove the propshaft and see if it is still faulty.
this will eliminate the rear diff

W

willson

I took it apart and took the cover off the rear all looks peachy. Half way through stripping the front now :cry: