tappy R

ive just picked up my first R after building RS's for years! i could build a RS with my eyes shut but have no idea about R's lol

first off the car is very tappy! the oil pressure is good and sits at around 5bar when driving and over 2 when idle. i notice its alot louder when hot.

is this a case of worn cams and lifters? the car was sat for 10 months off the road, ive tried changing oil ect.. but no difference. i've seen something about shims to but have no idea what they are. can anyone give me some guidence?

also what is the best grade oil to buy for the car?

cheers

Aaron

antgtir

I personally use Millers 15W-60 as my engine seems to like that a little better than the standard 10W-50 alot of the R owners use.

With regards to the tappy issue, its pretty normal for these engines to be tappy however there is a limit and if its very bad it can even send the car into limp home mode :-/

Normally its the shims that are worn and need replacing which by all accounts isn't the cheapest or most enjoyable thing you can do lol.

As long as oil pressure is good and the car runs fine then i wouldn't be too worried, its just a bit of a pain in the **** to have to do thats all.

Ant.

Dooie Pop Pop

where abouts in Essex are you fella? there' s loads of us R owners near you, if your close its no prob if you want someone to have a looky;)

i use silkoline spec R race oil, its 15/50 iirc. i dont like the millers personally, it may make the engine quieter but its too thick imo and holds the heat (recovery time) for longer than a thinner oil. personally iv found (been told) millers offer a better rate to traders than with other oils;)

do a search for the oilman he' s pretty good..

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
like already said the GTIR SR20DET engine is quite noisy from the factory, this is largely due to the lifters being solid but the injectors also contribute to the “tappy” noise as well.

If your even slightly concerned though I would get it checked over, like Stu says theres lots of GTIR experience around your area.

Remember the R’ is no spring chicken anymore and needs lots of the best TLC you can give it to stay in tip top condition.

Good luck

cheers lads, im well used to mantaining peformance engines and really enjoy working on them, the engine is pretty loud tbh, i noticed someone above mentioned limpmode, this was going to be my next question, the car doesnt pull atall! even if i try easing the throttle dwn, it also idles at 1500rpm but i cant find no airleaks! any ideas? it would be great if sumone could look over it for me

gtir_pimp

pulsarboby is in essex and a very good experienced mechanic especially with pulsars. give him a pm and see what he sais

antgtir

Basically the tapping (excessive) can lead to the knock sensor being activated and as such sending the ECU into engine protection mode and so retards the timing etc.

Engine idle is also a common gripe with the R, i used to have it on my first R but never got round to fixing the thing. As far as im aware there is an idle valve that can go pete tong and no matter how much this is adjusted it wont have an effect so replacement is the way forward.

Sort the shims out first and you will more than likely be amazed with the difference in performance.

Ant.

P

Pascal

How big of a job is it to fix the shims issue on the 'R ? Mine is quite noisy, not enough to send the car in limp mode yet but still... sounds like it's overdue.

youngsyp

Pascal said:
How big of a job is it to fix the shims issue on the 'R ?
It's very time consuming as, you need to measure clearances etc... It can also be a pain in the rear end, to find the correct shims as, Nissan have them on back order iirc.

olliecast

has anyone a video of a tappy r engine?
are your lots tappy when listening from the outside or when your right next to the engine?
not sure how to define "tappy at the moment as my car keeps going into limp mode but i`m not sure that the tapping on mine is bad enough to do this

P

Pascal

youngsyp said:
It's very time consuming as, you need to measure clearances etc... It can also be a pain in the rear end, to find the correct shims as, Nissan have them on back order iirc.
Hmmm... sounds like a job for a qualified builder rather than a backyard mechanic like myself... Can it be done by a builder on his bench if I take the head off the engine and bring it to him? Or take the whole engine to him on a stand?

antgtir

You will only have to remove the rocker cover not the head, just get yourself a new rocker cover gasket and get the car to them. As stated any half decent builder should have the abilities to fit new shims to the correct clearaances etc just like already stated, its the cost thats the issue.

Ant.