tappits

GTIR-RACER

hi i was driving my gti-r today and all of a sundan there is a noise coming from the top of the engine iam guessing tappits or something around that area? havnt lost power stil puls like a train dosnt do it on idel but gets to like 2500 rpm and starts and stops and starts and stops. can anybody help
it sounds ££££

oil change?
Mine has started that at high revs aswell, can slightly hear it tapping away. Very common though I think. Have a search on here, I think it was Pobody who used a cheap feeler gauge to re-shim the valves....

shroom

well its was Pulsar bob that did it,

I was under the impresion that tappets dont just suddenly go? just over time your head will get more chattery. Dont realy know much about them in all honesty

what kind of noise is it?
does it goes louder the more you rev it?
does it seem like a chattering sound or more of a clunk

if you give the guys as much info as possible they can give you some pointers onto what possibly could be wrong

P

pulsarboby

as above, if a noise like that suddenly appears then its a problem, tappets are a very distinctive noise and will be noisy linear throughout the rev range, that noise will just gradually get worse over a period of time.

if its rattling knocking between 2500-3500 rpm then i hate to say it but that sounds like a bigend on its way out.
when this happens it always sounds like its coming from topend but actually the noise is just transfered.
i would be whipping the sump off asap to check the bigend bearings as the more its started and driven the more likely you are to damage the crank, then it could mean a complete stripdown and build.

this is of course assuming noise is coming from engine and not something rattling on outside

Last edited by a moderator:
well its was Pulsar bob that did it,

I was under the impresion that tappets dont just suddenly go? just over time your head will get more chattery. Dont realy know much about them in all honesty
Sorry yes i think it was Pulsar Bob actually.
My tappets got louder all of sudden after having a hard 'session' with a gt4 on country roads; all of sudden i could hear the engine tapping louder :doh:

shit i'm worried now lol, just ready bob's post....
Don't think mine is the big end bearings as the more i rev the more it taps. Mind you, my engine is due an oil change so hopefully this will sort it.

shroom

Could be that when you were ragging the tits of it might have got quiet warm and the oil got a bit thin so you heard it more,

change your oil for some good stuff and see how it goes, mine were very noisy for over a year and I have had trouble free motoring bar the clutch,boost leaks, knock sensor, water leak, electrics, locks :lol: