tapping into the oil temp sensor

Godzilla

im wondering as i have a temp gauge fitted but not attached so to speak is it possible to tap into the standard temp gauge as i only need the two main wires from my after market one to plug in as it already turns on with ignition just obviously doesnt read a temp , only asking as otherwise i have to spend 50 notes on a sandwich plate that takes sensors plus oil cooler as i plan o n getting one soon ,any help welcome

RU55 GTR

I believe you can tap-in. However, as you have said that you plan to get an oil cooler, why not purchase the sandwich plate now and blank the ducts you don't need/want to use? It is then in-place for your future mod. A reasonably priced supplier that I've seen on e-bay is Matt Lewis Motorsport.

Hope this helps! All the best! :)

Godzilla

Only wanted to go this route as iv only noticed sandwich plates by mocal and there 50quid plus when I buy the oil cooler kit (would rather get kit) it comes with a plate which I will have to waste so will cost overall 50quid more than it should , would I have to tap -behind the gauge or at the sensor in engine bay

RU55 GTR

I'd tap-in behind the guage for ease of access and to save wiring. I suggest using in-line connectors (the blue block type that tend to be used on after-market wiring kits for alarms, stereos etc)

In relation to the sandwich plate issue, my advice would be as follows. Matt Lewis Racing (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Matt-Lewis-Racing) sell the kit for oil-coolers (front and top mount). If you were to purchase the sandwich plate from them and then purchase the kit later, you could negotiate terms to omit the cost of the sandwich plate from the kit?! That's what I would try. See what you think?!

Cheers! :)

Only wanted to go this route as iv only noticed sandwich plates by mocal and there 50quid plus when I buy the oil cooler kit (would rather get kit) it comes with a plate which I will have to waste so will cost overall 50quid more than it should , would I have to tap -behind the gauge or at the sensor in engine bay

Godzilla

Thanks mate will try that with the gauge as it's going to be a while before cooler comes I coils do with knowing what temp it gets too , also will check out that eBay link cheers again

geoff pine

I think you will need the sensor as well as the gauge i dont know if you can use the nissan signal on another gauge?.