Tappets or big end???

Big Sve

Right, how can you tell if its just your tappets on the way out or if its something more serious?

Mine is making the same horrible rattle im always on about, been steadily getting worse for around 3-4 months of regular driving. Took it to Ian at hi tec about 2 months back and he said at the time that he wasnt concerned as pulsar engines usually have a bit of a rattle due to noisy injectors but to keep an eye on it if it starts increasing. :shock: Had the oil changed this weekend and it hasnt settled it down. (was advised to try this first)

Sound seems to be coming from top end of engine which leads me to believe its the tappets need doing. When the engine gets up to temp its gets louder and increases in..well.. tappiness with the revs. Again, this leads me to think tappets need doing.

A couple of people have said though that tappet noise is very similar to a big end on the way out. Oil pressure is fine, sits at middle of the gauge unless you put your foot down and then it increases to around 3/4 and then settles back down on over run.

Also worth noting that when you have gentle throttle on at temp the knock reading from my SAFCII goes absolutly mental (4, 32, 6, 28,13 you get the picture)

No garage will look at it and to be honest im very much a layman in terms of engines etc so any guidance, more things to look for or any opinions will be greatly received.

Thanks

Matty B

sounds like it needs re-shimming to me matey. Mine was the same, it got louder when hot to. Its because the oil thins when it gets hot, i put thicker oil in which made it a bit better but still had to get them done in the end. For more in depth info try giving pulsar boby a bell, he sorted mine for me. Or do a search on the forum.

youngsyp

To localise the noise, get yourself a long (preferably thick) screw driver and put one end on one of the injectors and see what it sounds like. Do the same with the rocker cover.
It should be obvious where the noise is coming from after this.

Yes, the injectors are noisy, on my car, noisier than the solid lifters (tappets) and the timing chain.

If it is the tappets, I'd be concerned that they got so noisy over such a short period of time....
Mine are just as noisy (not very) now, as they were 5 and a half years and 56k miles ago.

Just a thought but, it could also me a small hole around the exhaust manifold. I know that sounds strange but, I had a VW Corrado G60 for a while and that made a ticking noise that got worse when up to temperature and increased with the engine revs. That was because there was a hole in the exhaust manifold gasket.

Paul

Big Sve

the main problem ive got is no one wants to work on the car. Hi teq is non contactable and RC in warrington is a nightmare when they can be arsed looking at it. Would take it to RSE motorsport here but all he'd do is stick a nitrous bottle up my **** and tell me he's tuned me.

Dont mind travel anyone want to help me out here?

gtirjoey

snoon said:
Get Boby to do it, when he can fit you in that is!
totally agrre bob your best bet and at least hes not a rip of merchant when it comes to pulsars like most people!!

P

pulsarboby

pm sent sve! bl00dy long way to come for shimming lol

thanks for the heads up though chaps

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Pulsars are quite noisy, the injectors also add to the noise.

Tappets should be easy to localise, ie obviously a top end noise. When I had big ends going on an old car, on start up you'd get a knock knock knock while oil pressure built up, then it went and stayed quiet.

Big Sve

mine is a bit like that, sounds like if you were to shake a bolt in a tin can for about 3 seconds before you start it up. . . . then it just sounds normal. . . . proper bricking this as im panicing i wont be able to afford more fixing! Spent nearly 3k on it at the same time ive just bought my first house and the mrs is losing her patience with me :-(

olliecast

Big Sve said:
mine is a bit like that, sounds like if you were to shake a bolt in a tin can for about 3 seconds before you start it up. . . . then it just sounds normal. . . . proper bricking this as im panicing i wont be able to afford more fixing! Spent nearly 3k on it at the same time ive just bought my first house and the mrs is losing her patience with me :-(
mine does it mate, i think its just the oil pressure building initially during startup.

my injectors are really really noisey aswell, the head also has alot of tapping onc warm. No knock ecu codes yet though so i aint worrying (shiming is on my list of things to do though!)

Big Sve

IS the knock sensor on an Apexi SAFII anything to judge by, because it goes nuts sometimes and other times just sits on 0 or 1?? Just pm'd boby to organise me shimmy! Just thinking i have got a bit of money to one side that i was going to use on the bathroom. . . . :shock: