Tap Tap Tap

LeeSmith

my engine is quite tappety - I've been told i need to replace the shims, what effect are the shims having on the car at the minute and will it cause any damage???

JIMMYBACK

mines exactly the same so would be quite interested wot would happened if i left it till next month :lol:

zia

basically you,re valve worn,t open fully and the rockers could slip out of the collets which will leave with no valve being opened on that cylindar therfore no exhaust pressure being sent down the exh. which builds cyl pressure leading to pressurising oil out of crankcase breathers/blowing the seals out etc. increase in emmision/fuel consumption/ worn rockers etc

zia

c20ona

phew, i thought i may have had this problem too but i just had my car checked over and it's fine, emissions are spot on etc, and it's been a little tappy for about....4 yrs.sure it's not just the noisy as phuk timing chain ?.

GTIR-LOZ

the engines are quite noisey as standard anywya, with solid lifters and a cam chain instead of belt, i wouldnt worry about it unless it is very noisey or it has got louder

M

momogtir

mine is a little noisy too, nothing some decent new oil wont fix though. having JE forged pistons makes it a little noisy too....