Suspension Bushes. Not really R related... but still...

geetee

Right.....

Not sure of the correct term...

The 2 bars per side that go from near the centre of the rear underside of the car to tie into the back of the rear wheel hubs.

1. What are they called?? Rear suspension tie bars???
2. How easy is it to replace the bushes in them? Do you need a hydraulic press to get them out??

I'm actually asking about my Celica GT... if the rear wheels are off the floor I can move them front to back by about 2cm. I can see the movement in the bush between the back of the hub and the "tie rods". It could be wear on the hub spigots but that would be silly for it to wear before the bush eh!!

I think the wheel bearings are OK cos there is no top to bottom movement at all.

I'm pissed off... this car has 'only' done 175K miles so far and time after time it just needs the oil changing. Oh I replaced the brake lines about 5 years ago cos they rusted and fell off. Otherwise it's like a defenceless seal, you wanna kill it for it's coat - but it just carries on and on.

Pls help this geriatric.

LOL

Put a quid in the envelope.

Celicerian Aid

LOL LOL :lol:

I've rambled enough!!

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

jiw

i always find a bit of heat works a treat, or if you can get a hacksaw blade through the bush you can split the outer steel casing (only about 1.5mm thick) this releaves the fit diameter making the bush a light tap out fit, powerflex or similar bushes are easier and sometimes cheaper to fit than o.e bushes too.

jeff

geetee

Good thought on the Powerflex bushes thing.... probably cheaper than the OE stuff too.

Should to make them for the Celica eh - although there's not too many 1990s around now.

Cheers.
GeeTee 8)

youngsyp

You could try Superflex bushes as well. These are cheaper than the Powerflex items and are the guys who make the Whiteline bushes.

As for getting them out, I have tried to do them on various cars and in the end went to my local garage, for local people on all counts and got them to press them out. Will cost a few quid and a lot less stress, broken tools and damaged suspension arms etc...

www.superflex.co.uk

geetee

Powerflex don't list for this car.

Superflex list rear bushes as

SPF0823 Rear Lower Trailing Arm Bush & Stainless Steel Tube 1 of 4

SPF0462/**K Rear Anti Roll Bar to Chassis Bush, Kit of 2 1 only

SPF0909-90 Rear Control Arm Outer Bush & Stainless Steel Tube, GT4, ST165 pre 90, ST185 pre 94, & 205 post 94 1 of 4

SPF2264 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner Front 37mm OD Bush & Stainless Steel Tube, GT4, ST185 1 of 2

SPF2265 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner Rear 30.5mm OD Bush & Stainless Steel Tube, GT4, ST185 1 of 2

What's a Control Arm and what's a Trailing Arm?

Any one got a simple diagram??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)