sunny steering rack

A

antilag

just thought id see if anyone no's if the sunny none power steering rack is a direct fit to the gtir as im taking the power steering off to de klutter the engine bay anyone no where i can get one ?????????

P

paulrandy

I've got one but i havent had time to see if it'll fit yet.

oldaneal

can remember hearing some rumor that the steering is quicker turning on the imports so not sure think it was mentioned in the service manual

A

antilag

its for a drag car so aslong as it turns off the trailor and onto the strip i dnt mind :wink:

A

antilag

still looking for a none power steering steering rack any ideas people im getting desperate

P

paulrandy

Dave, i want to keep mine, but i may know where there's another one, i'll find out how much he wants.

A

antilag

does anyone no if i can make the gtir steering rack none power steering?

Surry

yeah, you just disconnect the hoses, turn the steering a few times to get some of the fluid out, not all. Then link out the pipes which you disconnected near the brake master cylinder. (these come from the rack itself)

Make sure you dont pump all the fluid out so their is some in their to keep things lubricated, but you dont want too much in their or the pressure will make it fairly hard to steer.

HTH

Jon

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I admire your principles but have you tried steering the car with the engine switched off!! Heavy front end and quick rack steering could end up a right pain in the wotsit. try before you buy etc

Jim

A

AZ STE

Pulsar gtir steering rack uses 14mm thread for the track arms. If you fit a std sunny 1.4 rack the rod dia could be as small as 10mm dia unsafe for our cars.Even the Sunny gti rack ony uses 12mm dia track arms.
You would therefore have to fit smaller track rod ends.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's just for the drag strip, just remove the belt and fit an alternative, unless you are desperate to save the extra maybe 3 or 4kg removing the pump and pipework etc will save you :wink:

A

antilag

cheers guys thanks for the info i want to get rid of everything under the bay that isnt needed i no the steering will b heavy thats not a problem tho

fastguy i ent sure wat u mean but surely if i just took the felt off id achieve absolutly nothing except stiff steering lol

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Well, you would gain a couple of bhp through less frictional losses. (no p/s pump being driven) andddddd.........

You're only going in a straight line aren't you? :roll:
so no steering involved.
:wink: