SUNNY GTI SR20DET

Sweeny

Just out of interest would the above work?

Im sure its been covered but cant find it on a search.

An SR20DET lump in a Sunny GTI running 2wd, i know quite a few bits would have to be changed, but is there any major things that would need to change.

Cheers.

James.[/b]

M

Muppet

I don't see why not. Not sure what clutch you would use though. Are the splines on the fwd gearbox the same as on the 4wd one. Out of curiosity why would you want a fwd sunny as traction will be a big problem.

regards muppet.

J

J-GTi-R

It's been done before, there was a guy on here for a while doing one (I guess he's finished now). The standard gearbox won't last long, but there are a couple of uprated FWD gearsets available. You can also get LSDs out of some of the faster FWD SR20 powered Nissans, which will help loads with traction.

The rest is just putting 'R bits in where the standard bits were.

Through my friend's experiences, the 1.8 gearbox cant really take the strain from the torque the engine develops.

I think the better combination is the SR20DE gearbox with big spline.
I'm not too sure about the exact details. If u want to know more u should post a pm to cmng in this forum.

Besides that u need to find a cluth that can handle the torque. I cant recall brandwise but the american or oz clutches are able to handle them better. The jap aftermarket ones still slips.

A

Anonymous

Yes it can be done
A tone of guys here in OZ have N14 SSS' with SR20DETs either grom U12 or U13 bluebirds, Aveneirs or GTi-R's. Most of them use the standard SR20DE gearbox

Sasha has the RWD GTi-R, he hasn't changed the box setup, still has the 4WD box but has modified the front (if its still there) and centre diffs. He also has a 2 way Nismo LSD Diff at the rear.

ashills

i met a guy at avon raceway today that has a gti with a R lump in it
hes hooked it up to a primera box and pushing 250 at the front wheels appartently