Sump pan removal

P

pulsarboby

had a few people phone me in the past regarding removing the alluminium part of the sump with engine in situ and struggling to get it off (in some cases actually snapping it lol) more sales:twisted:

so for those of you that dont know, who need to remove the whole sump
firstly... theres a plate on the back edge (flywheel cover) behind that you will find 2 10mm nuts which need to be removed as the sump will not come off without removing these, but be warned! when you remove them make sure you either put a magnet on them or have a firm hold on them because if they drop they will drop into the clutch housing and can cause damage to your flywheel etc.

secondly...the sump will be firmly stuck in place by silicone and 2 locators toward rear of sump, but if you look at the back edge of it there are 2 screw holes (1 either side) you can screw a bolt in these which will gently and evenly prise the sump free of the locators and break the silicone seal holding it firm.

all very simple really but will save a few people diving under their cars with crowbars etc wreaking havoc:roll::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

lol the only reason ive wrote this is because someone else phoned me today asking the same question as another did at the weekend who ended up snapping his sump because he thought that big bosher and metal bar was the way forward in life:lol:

so if some people read it then less time wasted for me explaining it on the phone, everyones a winner:thumbsup:

CanadianR

Bob, I've removed the oil pan from my engine to bash out a dent. I didn't see any of the locator screws or anything. I removed 10 bolts IIRC then sliced the silicone with a utility knife. The pan seperated from the bottom of the block. I undid the windage tray to clean it and the pickup tube, then reinstalled it. Cleaned the mating surfaces for the pan/block then applied new gasket goo and did everything back up, waiting for the goo to set up once it was finger tight.

Are we talking about this sump?http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47247

P

pulsarboby

the oil pan comes off easy jess, its the alluminium part of sump i was talking about!

PulsarLee

Hi,

im guessing that you need to remove the pan and alloy part of the sump in order to remove number 4 piston? do i also need to remove the oil pump??

cheers,

Lee

PulsarLee

Hiya,

What is the best type of sealant to use when putting the sump back on? Was thinking of grey Sikaflex?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Ta,

Lee

PulsarLee

had a few people phone me in the past regarding removing the alluminium part of the sump with engine in situ and struggling to get it off (in some cases actually snapping it lol) more sales:twisted:

so for those of you that dont know, who need to remove the whole sump
firstly... theres a plate on the back edge (flywheel cover) behind that you will find 2 10mm nuts which need to be removed as the sump will not come off without removing these, but be warned! when you remove them make sure you either put a magnet on them or have a firm hold on them because if they drop they will drop into the clutch housing and can cause damage to your flywheel etc.

secondly...the sump will be firmly stuck in place by silicone and 2 locators toward rear of sump, but if you look at the back edge of it there are 2 screw holes (1 either side) you can screw a bolt in these which will gently and evenly prise the sump free of the locators and break the silicone seal holding it firm.

all very simple really but will save a few people diving under their cars with crowbars etc wreaking havoc:roll::lol:
Hi Guys,
Could someone please advise if im taking the whole sump off as described by Bob, do i need to take the small oil pan off seperatly or does this just come off with the main alloy sump itself.
Also

Thanthere are one or two engine & gear box support brackets that need to come off, does this sound right?

Thanks,

Lee

mikeyp

i know it's an old topic, but what bolt do i need to go in the 2 holes to push it out?
i've tried all my spare ones and all the ones that came off the sump and gearbox but they are all either too big or too small.

mikeyp

ok i found out it's the 2 bolts that hold the bell housing to the lower sump. the holes they go into can get clogged up with road dirt in the threads and need cleaning out. once the holes are clean the 2 bolts go in no problem and the sump pops of really easily.