strut top bolt broken

A

Anonymous

Hello, on of the bolts of my front right strut top has broken off. Should I replace it, how do I replace it, and where do these bolts attach to (on the underside of those strut tops, i mean) ?

Regards, William

GINGA

think you'll need to replace the strut top mount as there normally built into them :wink: good excuse to get some adjustable pillow ball top mounts :wink:

B

bean

I did exactly the same the other day when fitting my suspension, started to torque one of the nuts up and it snapped! :x

I'll see if I can drill the stud out and fit a bolt, but I doubt it, most likely have to source another top mount. :roll:

Keira

Must be the season for snapping studs on the strut mount as a certain gay f*cker broke one of mine the other day :wink: :) .

Piece of p!ss to change, i'd say get a new mount, you could probably drill the old one out but the new mount only cost me £11 from nissan so wasn't worth the bother.

Just make sure you put everything back on as it comes off, you will need spring clamps aswell as you need to get everything apart.

If you've lowered your own car you should be able to do it in well under an hour.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, I bought the car with a broken strut mount, so have no idea how it shut be put together. But what is it exactly that's broken ? I think I'll just go to my local nissan dealer and order a new one.

Keira

The studs are captive, the top mount is in 3 main pieces, the cup at the bottom holds the spring, the bit with the studs is in the middle and then there is the top bit of the mount that you see from the top of the turret. There are a few washers in there aswell which need to go back exactly as they come out.

There should be a paper gasket between the mount and the turret.