Strange metallic noise, (sound file attached)..

Sam_M

Bit confused by this, as It sounds like the bearing in the water pump on its way out, but its only just been changed. Getting a metallicy what I would call loose bearing sound on idle when the car warms up. Ive attached a sound file in case anyone can give a yey to whether that is indeed a bearing on its way out sound. IM hoping faulty water pump!!! you can hear it quite well, and this is the waterpump area I recorded it.

http://www.simplewaysolutions.com/Noise.mp3

geoff pine

Alternator bearings mine sounded something like that if it is would be cheap to fix it cost me £49 here on the wirral.

Sam_M

Too be honest, you cant even hear it when reving up. ONly on idle I can hear it. It sounds like it could be above the water pump, but that could just be in my mind :lol:. Its definately around that area.

gtirx2

Ok this may sound stupid but check your sump for dents i dented mine once and it lowered the oil pressure a small amount and the timeing chain tesioner was not comeing out fully on idle. And the sound would also get better when revving because the oil pressure would rise and tension the chain properly.

Sam_M

Right, ive done some bits and pieces to the car today and thought id try and work out where this sound is coming from. The worrying thing was if you listen directly above the oil filler, you could hear it well, but I took off the guard by the pulleys and had a listen, and it sounds as tho its more or less coming from around this pulley..

If it was an engine prob Im sure I could hear it when driving but its only at idle I can hear it.

Would anyone say that its pretty much likely to be that pulley?? I havent had a chance to get up to Owen Garages this week, but am I looking at nightmare job to get done if it is that?

P

pulsarboby

i reckon its the timing chain! take rocker cover off and check chain tension and tensioner! that will rattle on idle as engine isnt under load;-)

Sam_M

pulsarboby said:
i reckon its the timing chain! take rocker cover off and check chain tension and tensioner! that will rattle on idle as engine isnt under load;-)
You know what, I rekon you may have hit the nail on the head there, :-D