Strange knocking

PBRADY

I recently bought a 1993 pulsar which has developed an concerning knocking sound. I have been driving pretty hard over the last day or so and i feel something has now broke. The car itself drives fine with no smoke or lack of power but this knock appears to be coming from the drivers side of the engine and worsens under heavy acceleration. It sounds as if it could be the CAMS but i'm not sure.

Has anyone any ideas?? :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Does it do it all the time, or only after it's got hot?
Check your pulley end engine mount isn't split. It can let the exhaust knock on a 4 point lower brace for exapmle.

PBRADY

It appears to be happening all the time. You can't really hear it when it idling unless you pop the bonnet. However you can hear it when you accelerate, mainly during first and second gear.
As for the engine mount, i'll give them a check.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark N

If it sounds a bit like a timing chain, it could be the power steering pump. The bearings went in mine a it made a knocking noise.

antgtir

Is it a top end knock or bottom end knock?

What kind of sound is it? A thumping knock or a tapping / tinkling like a chain flapping sound?

Ant.

PBRADY

its the top end and it sounds like a tapping/tinkling. Is appears to be coming from the drivers side of the engine (left hand side when looking at the engine)