Strange gearbox issue

S14a

I hope someone can help. My GTi-R has developed a very strange problem. While stopped at a junction I struggled to get the car into 1st or 2nd. However with a bit of playing around it eventually engaged, but then 3rd gear started to make a clicking noise. I turned the car around to return home and 3rd was quiet again but 4th the started clicking!

Back in the work car park I now cant engage 1st or 2nd and 4th makes a clicking noise.

With the engine off I cant engage 1st or 2nd.

Any ideas - I guess its gearbox out all the same?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My first guess would have been the clutch, but if you can't select any gears with the engine off it's not that.

I also think it's time to take the box out and inspect it. - Hopefully nothing too serious, but if there's bits floating around in it the longer you leave it the more damage they do.

S14a

OK - box split and removed. It looks like the spring inserts that are fitted to the 5th/ reverse syncro had broken and fallen down through 4th gear. Obviously 4th gear has broken some teeth and the box needs to be changed. I guess the positive is that the gerbox did not break because of power etc etc...