Strange cutting out

ChrisS

Hd this happen to me a couple of times now, anyone got any ideas what could be causing it?
2nd gear tight left hand corner acelerating flat, the engine sudenly cuts as though its hit the limiter. I change up to 3rd and it carries on as normal. First time this happened at about 7000rpm, then last night at approx 5000rpm. Currently got the rev limit on the motec set at 7,800 so its definatly not hitting that.
Suggestions :roll:

Uncle Winnet

how much fuel do u have in the tank if you have an uprated pump it may not be picking up from the botom of the tank if you have 1/4 of a tank or less

john

paz

What John said ;) It can also happen with the standard pump, just sounds like the pick up isn't getting the fuel and is causing the stutter.

Paz

ChrisS

I had thought about the fuel, there was around 1/4 tank in it last night, cant remember the time before. It is an uprated pump. Like i say its proper sharp 90 degree corners and full throttle so the fuel will be swilling about a fair bit.
Do motecs have some sort of safety mechanism if it detects anything wrong, such as lack of fuel? It feels as though everythings just shut down when it does it. Might have to fill the tank and see if it does it again.

paz

I don't know about the motecs I'm afraid fella, but as you say, filling over half a tank and trying again should give you the answer ;)

I know mines stuttered on a couple of severe (90 degree plus) left hand bends if I've really tonked it round.

Paz

paz

:lol: Yup I can imagine it would do :lol: Have you had the car on the rollers?

Paz

ChrisS

Not yet, was going to take it on the canceled N/W rr day. Need to get it done really before i decide whats next on the list for it. The lure of 2 bar is becoming hard to resist :D

zia

do you have data logging enabled? you can view any error's in the diagnostic area.motec worn,t detect low fuel pressure unless you've got pressure sensor connected up into the aux input's. also sound more like fuel surge.do you have stu's old car?

zia

daz

had the same prob with my car its just low fuel in the tank you forget and give it some shoe round a left hand corner and it just shuts down thats why i never run mine any lower than 1/4 now as it cant do the engine any good

buffalobilla

this happend to me for the 1st time yesterday, had about a 1/4 tank of fuel and a sharp left, felt like it was cutting out but as soon as you go into 3rd gear its fine.
Ive also had this once of twice flooring it in a straight line in 1st gear. get lots of banging from the exhaust like ive hit the rev limit but im only of 5-6000RPM. is this because of the fuel level? :?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Its because all the fuel is forced to one side away from the pump leaving a massive fuel starve....

Can cause your engine to go BANG!!...

If you plan on doing this a lot then i suggest you setup a new fuel system using a swirl pot as this would elimitate that problem...

Rishi

buffalobilla

RishiGTiR said:
Its because all the fuel is forced to one side away from the pump leaving a massive fuel starve....

If you plan on doing this a lot then i suggest you setup a new fuel system using a swirl pot as this would elimitate that problem...

Rishi
if i keep the fuel above the halfway mark will it sort the prob out? :?

Rishi

buffalobilla said:
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi

Yes but its not the best option...

Which fuel pump are you using...?

Make sure its fitted low enough and that the pickup is a 45deg one that picks from the bottom of the tank unlike some others that were commonly used...

Rishi

daz

yours doing it in a straight line buffalo could be the coil starting to break down as mine did i just used to get a big mis fire under full load at about 6000 rpm ie when right foot firmly planted. changed coil for a new nissan one and the problem was solved

buffalobilla

RishiGTiR said:
buffalobilla said:
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi

Make sure its fitted low enough and that the pickup is a 45deg one that picks from the bottom of the tank unlike some others that were commonly used...

Rishi
its a walbro fuel pump, and we attached the stock filter back on. its in the exact place the stock one was :?

Rishi

buffalobilla said:
RishiGTiR said:
buffalobilla said:
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi

Rishi
its a walbro fuel pump, and we attached the stock filter back on. its in the exact place the stock one was :?

I've seen this happen with standard pumps...

Could just see if you can lower the pump a little more as the Walbro uses a 45deg pickup...

Or just use a swirl pot setup... Ideal for track days... :p

Rishi