Stock Wastegate troubleshooting....urgent help needed!

B

beast14

I have a bleed valve installed to regulate the boost pressure......when it's fully opened it's supposed to give me high boost (usually about 17psi) and when it's closed it would read stock boost (9psi).......

the problem is this: it was fully opened but reading stock boost and not high boost.....

my mechanic suspects that the diaphram in the wastegate/actuator has collapsed and so is sticking, not allowing me to alter boost pressure.....

is that right???........or could it be the turbo???

today we are going to ditch the bleed valve and install an electronic boost controller from blitz and see what happens.......

but any advice at this stage would be appreciated.......

A

Anonymous

Simple way to check that, just pull the vacuum hose from the actuator and go for a drive. Slowly bring the car on boost and see if the pressure climbs over 9psi. Bring the boost on slowly so not to let the pressure climb too high.

If the boost doesn't go higher than 9psi then the actuator is duff and no fancy boost controller will fix the problem. If the boost keeps on climbing then your bleed valves bleed orifice is clogged and it just needs cleaning.