Steering Wheel Vibrating at Speed

LeeSmith

I have had new tires on the front because my tracking was out & screwed the inside of them. I have had them balanced twice thinking it was that, but it still does it.....

They are exactly the same tires all around & only really notice it at speed.

Could it be anything else like worn bushes or anything????

Thanks in advance!

hmmm

I did a search on the internet and sometimes this problem was caused by worn track rod ends or worn bottom arms. Make sure of this first though because track rod ends cost aroun £80 :shock: and bottom arms are in the region of £170 per arm apparently :shock: (someone please confirm).

Another reason for the steering vibrating at speed was beacuse the steering column ( i think thats what it is called ) in the driver footwell area was loose. Once tightened the steering stopped vibrating and the clunks that could be heard whilst turning the steering also vanished.

This is what I remember reading. It was a few months ago so I could be wrong :oops:

Anyway, I'm sure a few pro's on here will let you know what the problem is

LeeSmith

Re: ...

hmmm said:
Another reason for the steering vibrating at speed was beacuse the steering column ( i think thats what it is called ) in the driver footwell area was loose. Once tightened the steering stopped vibrating and the clunks that could be heard whilst turning the steering also vanished.
I do get a clunk too.......

Feckin Car........

B

Brett G

Hey Lee do you get any vibration under braking/heavy braking or braking at speed??
At what sort of speed do you notice the vibration?
I only ask because your car has all the same symptoms as mine, even down to tracking being out initially and fooked inside of front tyres!
I don't get the clonking but I do also get heavier vibration under braking as if its the disk!? I think it could be the track rod end/ends? :roll:
Let me know how you get on

Brett

JIMMYBACK

yer it sounds like warped discs to me too..................cos im in the same boat and mine are fooked

LeeSmith

no it's not warped discs as it vibrates whilst driving not whilst braking - the discs are only a couple of months old & are uprated from standard ones as they were warped!!!

Starting to think it may be the ball joints or something silly like a deformed tire or something!

Cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
LeeSmith said:
Starting to think it may be the ball joints or something silly like a deformed tire or something!

Cheers
Not so silly, the wifes old rover somehow got a seriously deformed tyre. The whole car would wobble at low speed. Jack the front end up check the tyres and suspension for movement.

B

Brett G

I think that mine may well be a combination of things, including 'warped disks'! I want to upgrade asap anyway :wink:

A

Anonymous

You're not running spacers on the front wheels or anything like that are you? Spacers, especially cheap ones, can be so not flat that they put the wheels out of balance.

Same goes for the wheel/hub mating surface itself, if that's not completely flat it can cause wheel wobble too.

LeeSmith

Fast Guy said:
LeeSmith said:

Cheers
Not so silly, the wifes old rover somehow got a seriously deformed tyre. The whole car would wobble at low speed. Jack the front end up check the tyres and suspension for movement.
I'll check it tonight, i was thinking it may just be 1 thats a bit deformed...

Pete C said:
You're not running spacers on the front wheels or anything like that are you? Spacers, especially cheap ones, can be so not flat that they put the wheels out of balance.

Same goes for the wheel/hub mating surface itself, if that's not completely flat it can cause wheel wobble too.
No spacers m8 - had wheels for a while now & it's only since i had my new tires fitted that I noticed it....

youngsyp

This sounds like balancing. They have either not done it or not done it correctly. Get them checked to find out :wink:

LeeSmith

youngsyp said:
This sounds like balancing. They have either not done it or not done it correctly. Get them checked to find out :wink:
LOL!! Checked and rebalanced twice mate!!

Although, it was at the same place.......maybe their machines out or the muppets cant work it...!!

youngsyp

Have a look at the front drive shafts. Do they have a damper fitted ? If not should they :shock: :D If they don't and they should, the driveshafts will be out of balance :wink:

H980 Pulsarkid

I had exactly the same thing with my R - took it to a local garage to see if they saw anything out of the ordinary - took the first wheel off ( nearside front ) and low and behold my tyre was severly deformed on the inside - this was on 17's with the usual low profiles - think they are AVONS, anyway it was knocking it right out when accelerating along between 65 and 80mph - i think anything over 80 and it almost dissapeared but felt like one of the wheels was about to fall off - didnt feel safe at all. Prob wouldnt have been either had the tyre wall burst !

A

Anonymous

hey , i have this exact problem too , when i bought the r it had the problem so i balanced the wheels and it was still the same , so then i bought a set of cheap alloys from ebay rebalanced them and still had the problem, i was getting brand new alloys soon so i wasnt too worried , BUT when i got the new rims with NEW tyres the problem still exists, i also do get the occassional clonk , have quickly checked the ball joints and track rod ends and all seem fine, gonna check the lower column this morning though , ill let you know if i find anything , but i defo know its not the tyres/wheels, so if not the column im guessing a front hub has bad runout.i dont have spacers on the front either so it wont be that , hope we all get this sorted , its annoying isnt it :cry: .

I've got the wobble too :( -at a steady 60 or 70 mph, but not under braking... I put it down to balancing (which i havent done yet since i got the car) but i've also heard that 17's can wear ur wheel bearings much quicker than standard... could be that. :?: