Steering wheel centred.

CruiseGTi-R

How do you find out whether the steering wheel is correctly centred on the spindle or whether the previous owner just made a mess of installing it (i.e. installed it at an angle?)

Want to check before I spend ages setting up toe angles...

Also, how does the MOMO boss come off. Single middle bolt and then prise it off the spindle (is it actually a toothed spindle?)?

antgtir

Best thing you can do is set it up at what looks to be right with the wheels pointing straight, then take it for a drive round the block and reset if needed. Get it as close as poss then take it for wheel and camber alignment.

Ant. :wink:

ram5ay

Your steering wheel should be centred lock to lock (make sure there are the same number of turns from centre each way eg 1.75) and then the tie rods adjusted to set up tracking.
The tie rods should ideally have about the same amount of thread showing on each side, but this can vary with aftermarket track rod ends etc.
If the steering wheel isn't centred this way then I think it can put your toe in in turn out.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Like he says ^^^^ Then hopefully your steering wheel should be straight and your tracking spot on.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If you take the steering wheel off and look on the splined end of the columb there should be a single punch mark, when the car was in the factory and first assembled this would have been at the top (pointing up), this should centralise the splines on the other end of the columb with the steering rack and wheels should be set to the straight forward position from there.