Steering column removal

S

SunnyGTIR

Anyone ever removed theirs? I've got some play in the steering (clicks when turn wheel), I think its the knuckle joint at the end of the column. How do I get at this joint, inside the car or the engine bay? Any advice on removing column?
Thanks,

J

jasegould

any advice
Just make 100% sure it is the knuckle joint before you remove it as youll be pissed if it isnt :wink: You should be able to see if it is without removing the coloumn

S

SunnyGTIR

Where is the knuckle joint, by the pedals or in the engine bay?
Had a look by the pedals but there is a big plastic cover there and not sure how to take it off. :?

J

jasegould

I think there will be 2 knuckle joints possibly, one prob in the engine bay, the other under the dash, steering coloumns are usually designed like this so they fold up in a crash. Try taking the plastic cover off and rocking the wheel while looking at the joints for play

A

AZ STE

At the back of the engine bay just above the rack there is a rubber cover the nuts to undo this are in the drivers foot well, if you then pull back the cover there is a knuckle joint holding the steering column splined shaft to the rack (two 14mm bolts tighten it)