Steering, Coilover Problem

izmo

Hi guys

i just recently bought an R with K-Sport coilovers, when i brought it, was totally fine handling was hard from steering & i could do 150mph easily & still have control over the car, gradually the steering started to become loose so now i'm not able to do over about 90 mph as i don't have the same control even with 2 hands on steering now. also steering started to pull to one side although i don't understand why because i had receipt for full 4 wheel alignment just over a month ago.

If things weren't worse as they were i wen't alont & managed to damage one of the front dampers because i turned the dampness setting to far down so now it's not able to reach with the key through the pillow ball mount. since then the steering pulls sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right sometimes even straight & also now when i turn the wheel fully left or right it makes a springy noise as if something bounced out of place. any one know where i can get the damper rebuilt? i've spoke to Apex in bradford, they are able to do it but require me to send the coilover to them, i'd rather go somewhere & be there in person.

does anyone think the springy noise is due to something being wrong with the steering pump or steering colum?

Also can someone point to me what i would need for a basic service.

Please put your suggestions forward

kind regards

turbodaily

mate explain more on the springy noise? my g force coilovers do this (identical to k sports), they creek when you steer (mainly when parking etc) i greased up the pillow ball mounts and it stopped it temporarely but now does it again.

izmo

izmo

yeah the creeky noise is like a spring bounced, due to the stiffness of these suspensions i guess they would all make this noise, i'm really more concered about the steering, someone said its the steering colum, i jus need different opinions

D

deslynam

When the standard old shocks on mine were leaking, the steering felt quite light and as though I wasn't fully in control of it from about 70mph upwards. I'd wonder if you've damaged them as you suggest by setting them too hard (if the K-Sports allow this? I know you can do it on the Teins.)

izmo

the steering appeared to become lighter before i damaged the damper. and the damper damaged coz i turned it too soft, also i can't really figure out the problem coz these coilovers are new, they were only put on like 2 months ago

fil_gtir

Regarding the noisy gforce on steering, I found it is because the spring rotates on the plastic top seat bush easier than the pillowball mounts rotates. So the noise is the spring grinding against top seat.

My temporary fix was some strong double sided tape to try and hold the spring to the bush, so it rotates in the pillowball instead.

izmo

your right it's the spring that makes the noise, mine actually loosend from the bottom end & both locking nuts had to be tight into each other, otherwise the spring will make noise. regarding the steering becoming light, i'm going to change the pump & see if that makes a difference to make it hard again, the steering rack seems to be fine