steam from right hand side of the car

RT358

Hi, when I pulled into my drive and switched off the car steam started pooring from the side!!! i've not yet had chance to look at it but it doesnt look good

need to bits of advice on what it maybe? and if I can still drive the car???

relatively new to gtirs and i'm useless under the bonnet of a car!!!

cheers guys

H

helterskelterGTIR

mine did this. my radiator was split and my water pump was dead..
check these bits

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you have steam, you're probably loosing water. Best advice is sort it before you drive it. If you drive with a water leak and it gets too hot, you could warp the cylinder head and blow the headgastket too. Not worth risking the expence for what could be a cheap fix.

Get your head under the bonnet and find out where the steam is coming from.

antgtir

It will either be the water pump as that is located on the drivers side of the engine or it will be the radiator, if its the standard radiator it will most likely be leaking from the top plastic section bonded to the aluminium centre or core section.

It will be a rad or pump, looking in the R service manual it does say that the rads are salvageable i.e the seal on top of the rad between the plastic and aluminium sections of the rad can be replaced.:-D but for the hassle a new rad would be better lol:lol:

Ant.

P

pulsarboby

lift up the bonnet, fill the rad with water not anti freeze.
check for leaks, if none can be found look for fresh water marks on inner wing, header tank, radiator, water pump, this will give you a rough idea where water is coming from!

start the car and run it to normal operating temp, if still no leaks can be found the chances are that either the fans arent cutting in and the water is blowing back out the header tank under pressure, or rad is blocked or thermostat is sticking or head gasket is blowing, which will have a whole lot of other symptoms on its own.

if you do not know anything about cars, fill it up with water and drive it to a garage to let them look at it, BUT as fastguy said do not continue to drive car and ignore it, otherwise you'll be facing a rather large bill as you WILL either warp or crack the cylinder head, then it will be another car for me to scrap;-)