Starting to mod!! (Just bought some parts)

S

StateSideKendon

So, I got the pulsar less than a month ago and have finally finished a bit of research on it and tonight I bought some of the support mods.

Feel free to ask any questions or give whatever advice you may have, I'm open to it....don't want to build a piece of junk. **My main questions currently are concerning a top mount turbo manifold (log style most likely) and a same side inlet/outlet intercooler....I haven't seen a lot of GTIR guys running the same side IC and was wondering why, if the inlet/outlet is on the pass side of the car it seems like the piping route could be cut much shorter and be more direct than the normal FMIC design....thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks in advance :) onto the parts. oh ya, goal after this primary build is 400whp on pump gas and 450whp on pump + meth.

Ordered --

Apexi NEO
AEM TruBoost
AEM Uego wideband
Koyo radiator
40mm Synapse WG http://www.synapseengineering.com/products/synchronicwg/wg001.html#
Samco rad hose kit (in black)
MSD 72# injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Snow Performance Meth Injection stg2
Comp Clutch 4puck sprung 1420 series
8lb flywheel

Still need --

Intercooler core, piping and couplers/t clamps**Look to question on top if you skipped it first time around please**
Turbo
Turbo manifold
Downpipe/exhaust
JWT primary tune
Cams
*Clutch* ordered
*Flywheel* ordered

Assorted Gauges

......New gearbox.....if/when this stocker goes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

StateSideKendon

16 point fuel control and logging ability coupled w/ the wideband = minor adjustment and tuning on the road.

Is there a reason I shouldn't use it??

O

Odin

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i see you ordered an external wg, what turbo are you looking for?

For his power goal's it must be the mong turbo of choice :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

O

Odin

diesel weasel said:
400whp (500+atf) on a 3071 does not work...unless he's american :roll: :lol:

You are indeed right I didn't notice it was at the wheels he was after :doh: :oops: .

Rob

O

Odin

Dooie Pop Pop said:
:doh: you beat me to it:lol:

rob you mong:lol:

At least I know the difference between an exhaust housing and a comp housing old chap :shock: :der: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I'd keep very quiet if I where you matey ;-) .

And yes GT3076R should do the job nicely

Rob

Dooie Pop Pop

Odin said:
At least I know the difference between an exhaust housing and a comp housing old chap :shock: :der: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I'd keep very quiet if I where you matey ;-) .

And yes GT3076R should do the job nicely

Rob
:oops: :1bar:

:lol:

this is about as short as i could get, its not single sided as you asked but hey ho.

S

StateSideKendon

Thanks for all the feedback.

For turbo choice I'm planning on using a 3076 or Turbonetics GT-K 450, really not sure which yet, depends on if I can cash in a favor w/ Precision or not ;).

Just got my clutch and flywheel today too...from what I've understood the surface area on the pulsar clutch is a bit smaller than the 240 and other cars so a 6puck sprung would only hold ~350whp....I decided to go w/ a 4puck sprung w/ an 8lb flywheel....this setup is gonna be rev happy when it's done...

Dooie -- Great job on the short piping route, hopefully I wont have to cut through too much metal to get mine setup...we shall see. Your filter looks like it's miles away from the turbo, how do you like the setup?

Jeddah, I ordered the koyo and uego from my supplier, I work for Underground Motorsports and this pulsar is gonna be my personal car/our shop car. I'll pm you some details on the parts, we'll get you hooked up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dooie Pop Pop

StateSideKendon said:
Dooie....where is your radiator?
hiding;-)

its made by specR and its about 60mm shorted than standard with a thicker core and a single fan.

StateSideKendon said:
Dooie -- Great job on the short piping route, hopefully I wont have to cut through too much metal to get mine setup...we shall see. Your filter looks like it's miles away from the turbo, how do you like the setup?

this is an old photo and iv got a different filter and hard pipe now but its still in the standard position. not to much cutting for the ic either just a bit from under that bar the bonnet latch attatches to and either side where the pipes go through oh and a little grind from the front engine mount lol:lol:

if i remember rightly there' s been a discussion on here about single sided intercoolers before and it was generaly thought that the air would take the path of least resistance and not flow over the core as it would if the inlet was opposite the outlet...

stu

edit: totally off the wall but id guess you could use two smaller cores stacked one on top and weld the end cans so that the air flows around a kind of loop.

Last edited:
S

StateSideKendon

so...what are the reasons we dont use the top mount manifolds from a rwd SR20det setup???

MORF114

maybe because everything leading to&from turbo will have to be custom made.

Last edited:
S

StateSideKendon

(which i'm doing anyway.....nice reply)

sounds like i'm gonna try using a top mount 240 sr20 manifold and see how it goes....should be fun.