starter motor renewal

K

keving

hi
please help
my pulsar is not starting
i tried jump starting which didnt work
i replaced the battery which also didnt help
tried push starting which did work which made me think it was the starter motor an auto spark came out and confirmed this then told me it was probably an engine out job
is this true?
has anyone replaced a starter?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
keving said:
hi
please help
my pulsar is not starting
i tried jump starting which didnt work
i replaced the battery which also didnt help
tried push starting which did work which made me think it was the starter motor an auto spark came out and confirmed this then told me it was probably an engine out job
is this true?
has anyone replaced a starter?

Find something else to fix mate.... no seriously the starter motor is an arse...

You have to actually find it first... :lol:

You can do it with the engine in but it will be much quicker to remove the engine and replace it that way... If you are removing the engine then its worth looking over a few other things while the engine is out...

Do a little search and you'll find a few other Starter Motor topics which might be helpful, although they will all probably tell you what i just did...

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Allegedly DP motorsports can change one in about 2 hours.

It can be done with the engine in situ, but to the likes of you or me it won't be a quick job because of where it's situated.

O

Odin

Take it to mike or olly :wink: .

Even with the engine out it's hard to find :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

rob

O

olidaviesuk

not a nice job, but just about doable if your handy with a spanner and fairly familiar with an R,

Anyway removal as follows - correct me on any points as doing this from memory.

Starter is situated on the back of the block just about on the same level as the top of the gearbox in just about the most awkward place imaginable - you will probably need S - Spanners, rachet spanners and 1/4 or 3/8" drive rachet with several UJ

i) disconnect battery

ii) remove intercooler

iii) remove (looking from front of car) rear, righthandside intercooler support bracket (indiviual one on its own) you should then be able to loosen the A frame on the back of the engine on the gearbox side enough to get your hand behind the starter motor.

iv) disconnect the power cable from the back of the starter motor (either 10 or 12mm ) and the solondid cable (YOU WILL GET CHAFFED KNUCKLES)

you may find it easier when removing the power connectors to do it from under the car - jack the car up and support it safely on axle stands (if your not confident and familiar about doing this safely THEN DONT as you will be under the car and if it falls on you, you will probably die! :shock: )

v) remove the exhaust downpipe and driveshaft then you should be able to access the rear of the starter motor.

vi) from the top of the car undo the bolts that hold the starter to the gearbox.

vii) remove the starter from the underside of the car - will be a complete :x

Hope this is usefull

C

Connie Paa

Hey everyone :wink: . The starter packed up in my R too,the day after Keving's :cry: . But i ain't gonna let it get me down,it's the first problem i've had in 1 1/2 years and 25,000 miles of highly entertaining driving:lol: .So, i can see from the posts its a disaster of a job :shock: ,and i'm giving it to my mechanic in the next day or so :!: . I'm here to find out the best way to attack the job!!!!!!!!! I've heard if ya remove the inlet manifold there's supposed to be plenty of room, or is it quicker to do it like what olidaviesuk said :? .I've done a search and there doesn't seem to be anything definate!!!!!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated :lol: :lol: :lol: