Standing Engine

B

Batch21

Hi all,

Quick question.

How long can you leave a pulsar engine standing without causing ceasing, degrading etc?

What precaution would you take if you planned to leave an engine standing for say 12-18 months +

Basically i want to leave the car standing and then come back to it in a year or two.

Alternatively if it will undoubtedly cease up, what would i need to do in terms of maintenance to get it up and running again?

Cheers guys

youngsyp

If you ready it for storage, indefinitely I'd suspect.

I'd take the timing chain off so that all the valve springs aren't tensioned, get the pistons to the middle of their stroke and pour some good quality oil down the plug holes and put the plugs bag in but, don't tighten them. I wonder if filling the sump right up with oil might be an idea, to protect the crankshaft ?!
Drain the coolant system down and flush it through to get all the crap out and it might be an idea to fill it back up with 100% pure coolant solution (no water added). That should stop the water ways rusting/furring up.

Then just store it in a dry environment and you should be find.

Of course I could be way off base with my suggestions but, it seems logical to me.

PaulB

yup, what you said there seems pretty logical, wouldnt worry bout filling the sump up with oil enough to coat the crank, ive left engines standin over a year and theres nowt wrong with them when you open em up.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it were me I'd just keep starting it and moving it once a week or I'd expect the brakes to seize as well as any potential engine problems. Over a year is a long time to expect it to sit and be OK, unless it's kept in a dry warm environment.

To take the tension of the valve springs, I'd expect you have to remove the cams. Removing the timing chain won't do anything.

youngsyp

Fast Guy said:
To take the tension of the valve springs, I'd expect you have to remove the cams. Removing the timing chain won't do anything.
I'd expect it to take some of the load off the springs as, the cams would rotate independently, and rest in a position where equal load is on the cam lobes ?!

It's probably the case, as you say though that the valve springs won't be completely un-compressed !

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
There's a good possibility that the inside of your engine could start corroding, causing running problems after a while, turbo could do the same. Brakes would probably seize, car in general may start rusting. It may not want to start again without some help. Battery would die. The car would probably just implode as soon as you turn the key and the world would end.:lol:

youngsyp

Fast Guy said:
The car would probably just implode as soon as you turn the key and the world would end.:lol:
......... forming a massive black hole which suck in all the light in the universe causing the end of it all.

Now, would you really want that on your conscience ? :lol:

Keira

drain it properly, block off all the ports, plug holes and any open orrifices and periodically turn it over by hand if the engine is out of the car so the crank doesn't start to sit on the bearing for along period of time.

Alternatively, do what i did and ignore my advice and use it as a work bench so it ends up covered in filler dust :lol:

O

Odin

I did nothing to mine what's so ever when I stood it for 16 months apart from turn it over with a spanner every few months, When I put it back in I just re filled all the fluids and away I went lol, And it ran fine for over 2 years until I blew the ring lands out of it HeHeHe.

As for the brakes I stripped them all off the car and put it on four stands, So no problems in that department.

Rob

B

Batch21

Christ it's already been standing for 6 months, i'd better go check it, the hole might well be forming as we speak!

Maybe i could hire a family of gophers to live in the engine bay and preiodically crank it over for me.....?

Better get in touch with pertemps.

B

Batch21

This is all depending on whether i can find somewhere to store it after September, in any case.

If i can't find anywhere it's gonna be broken and sold. Which will pain me greatly...but would probably be liberating in a way. I know i'll never get it finished, don't have the time or money. : (

Oh well, cheers guys