standard rods ARP bolts BHP.

C

carpy100

Right then, its probably been asked before but i couldnt find it.
whats the maximum bhp standard rods with ARP bolts can take,connected to forged low comp pistons :?:

C

carpy100

Mmm, thats what i thought.wondered if anybody knew how much more they could take using lo comp forged pistons because im assuming they are lighter therefore wont be loading the rods so much.
thanks for replies,
regards,
paul.

Keira

if you're aiming for more just get some rods from the us and forget the standard ones, mine are rated at 200bhp per rod for under £500 in our money 8)

T

Toady

Ive been told by a few engine builders and tuners that 370ish is the max safely. But ive seen engines with over 400 using std rods! inc DP's i think? i may be corrected on that one tho!! :lol: the forged pistons are a lot lighter than std ones, i did measure them but will have to find my results if you want to know. I didnt get mine lightend as didnt wana compromise the strength, but i did get them shot peened. :wink:

LOU ROB

Toady said:
But ive seen engines with over 400 using std rods! inc DP's i think? i may be corrected on that one tho!! :lol:
Nothing to correct mate :wink: :lol:
Myself and Jason Gant are still using standard rods and crank :shock:

G

GartracS2

FYI revs kill rods not nessecarily more boost and power, think about it all your doing with more boost is compressing more volume that in itself wont cause rods to break theyre very strong when compressed from top to bottom with a few degrees either side but once you start revving to 8 - 10000 RPM then the additional side loads generated with the increased thrust force is enough to break a standard rod or crank journal for that matter.
Why are you lowering the compression the standard compression is more than adequate not too high and not too low. You will lessen the rick of detonation with lower CR however you will lose a bit of low end torque and your fuel economy will be worse than with standard CR.
Why not stick with your present CR and replace stock pistons with forged types and install water and methanol injection to counteract any problems you have with internal temps.

I have run 1.4 Bar on standard pistons before now and my active knock sensor never shows anything but Zero on full boost on hot days or cold days.

C

carpy100

i was asking about rods because a little while down the line im running NOs. i wont be using high revs as iam aware that revs kill rods.
I have decided to use standard rods and ARP bolts, these combined with forged pistons should be adequate.
if its not, you lot will soon know!
going to try and get 500bhp. :shock: