Standard R - first mods?

G

GartracS2

I am thinking of a standard R and its in very original unabused condition. I also work for Nissan so setting any mods up will be easy to do. Im A Ford RS man really and I dont know a great deal about tuning the R. I have rebuilt SR20 DE`s in the past so i know how simple an engine they are to strip.

I have a performance air filter, BOV, and a boost gauge. I want to know what sort of boost is the absolute max the SR can take in standard trim? Is 1 BAR the max and is it safe? I want to replace the current actuator with a -31 type and maybe an EVC. I have saved up enough for the car so any more mods will have to be limited due to getting married, just bought a house etc so I would be happy with around 250+BHP.

Can an uprated actuator supply safe power hike?

S

Stoned

First mod, fit a decat, free flowing exhaust system

It compleatly transforms the R's performance

G

GartracS2

forgot to mention it has a mongoose exhaust and a decat pipe that hasnt yet been fitted ;) But its standard other than that.

Si..

GartracS2 said:
are they quick enough in standard trim?
performance is'nt gonna blow you away in std form, and if your who i think you are you'll be v un-impressed with a std Gti-R.

mine was running 1bar with a goose and a filter when i got it and this alone makes them feel rapid compared to std. and yes the boost can be raised safely with an uprated actuator, thats was what had been done to mine.

A

andy n

loads of people on here run them day in day out on 1 bar, me included but you need to make sure the fuel is getting in. the std pump struggles and then bad things happen. ollie helped me with mine and he gave me some good advice along the lines of keep it cool, let it breathe and dont starve it of fuel and it'll run well.

P

pimppulsar

a friend of mine has pretty much the same mods as you but also has an uprated fuel pump [115.00 from \pfx 01980 624490] and runs it at around 15-16psi for at least a year now without any probs!!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GartracS2 said:
are they quick enough in standard trim?

I have a performance air filter, BOV, and a boost gauge. I want to know what sort of boost is the absolute max the SR can take in standard trim? Is 1 BAR the max and is it safe?............. just bought a house etc so I would be happy with around 250+BHP.

Can an uprated actuator supply safe power hike?
You should see 60 in about 5.5-6 and the 1/4 in 13.9-14.1 as standard (driven hard, not gently :wink: )

There's some people been using around 1.4 on standard internals and turbo, but you realy need to be set up 100% spot on at that level or you won't last long.

1bar might do your clutch, but again if it's set up properly you should have no other problems.

250bhp? you should have that (almost) with the mods you have, 1bar will give you around 275bhp.

The uprated actuator should do the job or a Dawes device will do. Just do the other things to go with 1bar to. (colder plugs, clutch, uprated fuel pump,set up, etc)

skiddusmarkus

If you get a boost controller such as the AVCR then there's no need for an uprated actuator.It has 3 settings I think,so just have it at factory,0.8 and 1bar or whatever.

Electronic boost controllers are superior to Dawes/bleed valves in that they can be set up to spool the turbo faster and the AVCR has a gear sensor so you can have differnt boost in each gear.

G

GartracS2

nice one fellas. Im still not sure whether to get a standard sunny or a ready modded R? I dont want to buy a car thats been ragged to mars and back.

N

nicboy

Hey fella,
just wondering how much you were looking at spending to buy the car?

kind regards
Nic

kyepan

Bigger 4pot brakes, the standard ones will fade pretty much instantly...

people will warble on about braided hoses and which pads... but there is just not enough disc to dissapate the heat, and the calipers are woefully inefficent, plus their heavy cast iron muthers, so getting a nice aluminum caliper will reduce your unsprung weight too.

good luck with your mods

N

nicboy

Hey fella,
well if you are looking for a nice unthrashed well maintained one with low miles, I got one for sale. Take a look at the work done especially, this will save you a lot of money in the future.. plus you will still have money left over for a few other bits like a front mount and boost controller!

kind regards Nic :D

(It`s in the for sale section, 1991 GTi-R 48000 mile, £000`s receipts)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GartracS2 said:
I dont want to buy a car thats been ragged to mars and back.
Yo do realise you're buying a rally car? :shock: I think the chances of buying one that hasn't been ragged to mars at least and maybe back again will be about 0. but that doesn't mean it'll be a shed :wink: