SR20 Cranks

djdoc360

Could you change or use a crank from a S13 or any other SR equipped car in a GTIR block? I was told tow things by a Japanese GTIR tuner.
1. The GTIR stock crank and rods are stronger than any other SR.
2. Each Block is match with its own crank.

please inform me if I'm missinformed.

thanks
DOC

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Gtir crank has 19mm big end journals, the others are 17mm. Also flywheel bolts are slightly different. (biggger I think)
The main bearing caps are matched to the block, I don't think the crank is, or you couldn't change it in theory.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You can you an S14/S15 SR20 Crank. Then use the more common SR20 Rods. Use some stronger Cosworth Flywheel bolts and have an open selection of clutches..

The SX engines have been proven to run over 900bhp.. I doubt very much that you are aiming anywhere near that..

Also remember that most of the stroker kits that people use in their GTiR's from the likes of TOMEI and HKS all use the 17mm bearings.. Haven't seen any problems from those at high HP..

dave

I'm currently running my GTIR with a SR20DE crank, its works perfectly fine, i only had to regrind the flywheel holes of the crank for open to 12mm for be able to use the 54C flywheel bolts with GTIR flywheel, the crankshaft journals are the same size and dimensions for any SR20 cranks, Nissan makes 2 types of crankshaft for SR20 engines one have 8counterweight ('90years cars) and the other have 4 counterweight ('2000+years cars), so just make sure to use a 8counterweight crank.
and ofcourse if is possible balance everything, make sure pistons, rods, flywheel and crank pulley are balanced with the crankshaft.

connecting rods caps are the same wide, only difference that SR20DE and SR20DET(S13/S14/S15) use a 17mm rod bearing for their rods, GTIR use a 19mm rod bearing, but the connecting rod cap still have the same wide size, meaning that GTIR rods works on a SR20DE and S13/S14/S15 crankshafts.

you can compare and check sizes and dimension of the cranks with ACL webpage too.

SR20DE, SR20DET (S13/S14/S15)
http://www.aclperformance.com.au/us/NissanSR20DEBearingsus.htm

GTIR specs:
http://www.aclperformance.com.au/us/NissanSR20DETBearingsus.htm

Last edited:

Bosso

so this means that i can buy eagle rods for any sr20, put in rod bearings 19 mm for the gti-r. And then install it to the crankshaft and job done?

cmng

no
you need to get rod specific model
if RNN14.. only 19mm bearing
if other SR model.. then 17mm bearing