Squeaking noise turning steering wheel - powersteering belt?

paz

Hi all,

Just started to notice a squeaking noise when I'm turning the steering wheel.

I'm guessing this is the PAS belt slipping, would I be right - if anyone has any reason to doubt this please let me know.

Also, does anyone know what the part number is for a new one?

Cheers

paz

A

Anonymous

either the belt or your power stiring fluid is low...have you checked it? mine did this 3 weeks ago and it was cause i had run outa fluid

paz

Shall have a look tonight. It was fine last time I checked so I didn't think to again :oops: :lol:

Cheers.

Any idea on the belt part number?

Paz

A

Anonymous

i thought my belt was loose aswell...every time i turned the stiring wheel it made a squeaking noise that made every one in the street turn and look at me ! then had a look and it looked tight...so filled my power stiring tank up and problem solved.soz don't no a part number.

How do you get your picture up in your profile m8 :oops:

paz

It needs to be hosted on the internet. To do that sign yourself upto a free image hosting service - mines boomspeed, but I don't think they are free anymore.

There are places called imageshack, photoshack etc. Once you're signed up, you need to upload your picture to the internet which will give you a link like this:

http://www.boomspeed.com/zap48uk/avatar.jpg

Next, go into your profile and update the avatar section with the link. Jobs a good un :)

paz

geetee

Check fluid level.

Check belt tension as per

http://www.mummachummas.co.uk/gtir/DRIVE_BELTS.PDF

errmm.. 4 - 5mm give in the belt when you apply 10kg of pressure. I never have worked out how you're supposed measure that force when you're using a thumb at an awkward angle.

You could try tightening it a bit anyhow (1 or 2 turns), but listen out for your water pump bearing complaining if you over tighten it as it's on the same belt.

Anyone know how to apply 10Kgs to the belt????? :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee

paz

geetee said:
errmm.. 4 - 5mm give in the belt when you apply 10kg of pressure. I never have worked out how you're supposed measure that force when you're using a thumb at an awkward angle.
:lol: :lol:

Cheers for the tips fella, shall take it into the garage and get them to have a look. I'm shite at anything engine related/mechanical :oops: :lol: :wink:

Paz