Springs falling out of GABs

CruiseGTi-R

My R has all manner of knocking noises coming from the rear, some so sharp you'd swear it was bush related, but inspection has found all the bushes in tact, so I'm thinking shocks.

When raising the car on the ramp we were able grab the spring on one of the shocks and quite easily pull it out of its top cup. Surely this isn't right, even with wheels off the ground the springs have massive pre-load?

I assume my shocks have therefore collapsed or something. Do worn shocks really knock and bang, what is it making the noises exactly?

O

Odin

My rear spring's a loose when I jack the rear up as well matey, I also have gabs fitted but have never had any problem with them banging.

I would say you should be looking elsewhere for your problem, Because when you drop the car back down on it's wheels the springs will be tight again, They are on mine anyway :wink: .

You should have a good look at all the bushes including the rear subframe ones as well, Have a good look at the drop links as well, Also the rear driveshafts as well.

And are you sure it's not just the exhaust hitting somewhere?.

rob

CruiseGTi-R

When going along over normal bumps in the road the rear shock area gives out a kinda scratching/squeaking noise. Then over bigger bumps the knocking starts, bigger potholes give collosal clunks and thuds from the whole rear of the car but still mostly from the one shock area.

Impossible to find on a ramp, all the bushes seem ok, hard to diagnose.

When bouncing the car up and down the shocks can be heard creaking too.

Don't want to spend 1k on coilovers if not totally necessary !

We packed out the exhaust with foam, but drove no more than 100 yards and the noises were the same.

Rear driveshafts I haven't looked at, what am I looking for in particular?

O

Odin

CruiseGTi-R said:
Rear driveshafts I haven't looked at, what am I looking for in particular?
Just to make sure you don't have a f*cked joint, because these can knock when the buggered :cry: .

rob

CruiseGTi-R

Its definitely related only to suspension movement/road undulations.

On a totally smooth road, no banging noises.

Annoying cos its easy to spend almost as much on replacing all the bushes (for cost of fitting) as I can getting new shocks (which are easier to fit myself)!

ChrisS

One of my springs falls out of my gab shocks the same when jacked up, so maybe its a common thing? No probs with banging from them though.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd check all your suspension mounts, struts, rollbars andwhere there's a joint basically.
On my last car the rear springs would do the same, but I tie wrapped them in place, it seemed to do the job OK.